Strange spring here in VA.

Main forum for non turkey hunting discussions as well as general information about travel, rules and regulations, and other turkey hunting info.

Strange spring here in VA.

Postby cut_un » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:25 am

The birds are simply not acting right???? Very little gobbling on the roost and instead of it getting better, getting worse! Did kill a nice bird on opening day(April 9th) but have not managed to work a bird since! Only one bird has been killed in my group...that was mine ...on opening day! I keep saying it will/has to be better ...but when?
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Re: Strange spring here in VA.

Postby Fisherhunter460 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:35 pm

You aren't alone Cut_un. It's been pretty slim here in WV. The first morning we heard several birds gobble, but each bird only gobbled once or twice. I'm fairly certain we heard four different birds. The second day we didn't hear anything close, but they only gobbled right before sunrise and only a couple times. The third day was much the same however we got one going on the roost. Ended up being 4 jakes, but they only gobbled once after they flew down. I was desperate so I shot one.... Didn't hear anything gobble on Saturday. The weather was pretty nasty, cool windy and rainy so I didn't expect much. I pried myself out of bed this morning and a good thing I did. I got in close on a hot gobbler at 6:05 and by 6:25 he was down for the count. I haven't talked to many people in my area that are hearing many or having success. Maybe these guys are being tight lipped, but my Facebook hasn't been blown up with turkeys like most years.
Fisherhunter460

Re: Strange spring here in VA.

Postby cut_un » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Birds are starting to come round... Still have hens but birds are gobbling better and hobbling on the ground! Sat with the wife this morning.... Have a gobbler with a hen strutting at 50 yards! Was too far for her 20 ga. Was waiting on the green light from her as I could have thumped him at that distance, never said a word as the bird walked off! Her call, maybe tomorrow!
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Return to The Roost