how many decoys do you use?

A forum to discuss the newest turkey decoys and techniques.

Re: how many decoys do you use?

Postby cut_un » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 am

I'd have to say that I've not had any gobblers/turkey respond in a real negative way to any decoys I use(as in NOT come to the decoys). Have to say that I've had turkeys during our season "slow to respond to my jake decoy ",as opposed to laying eyes on him and marching in. The last "late season bird "I killed last year, I'd removed the "chicken" from the group had a pair of gobblers march across the field to the hen decoys only. I'll always have ...at least one hen out!
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby nyturkeyhunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm

I have three upright hens, one feeding hen, one Jake and one B Mobile full strutter with a real fan.

I usually hunt with one upright hen and the jake decoy. I will adjust depending on the area hunted and the way the gobblers react. I have put out as many as five decoys and as few as one.

All of my decoys are Buckwings with the exception of the B-mobile.
Out scouting gobblers. Check back with me May 1
nyturkeyhunter

Postby hookspur » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:07 am

Granted, my decoy use Is very limited, but we've had tremendous success where I guide in Florida by using a whole flock...a strutter, a semi-fuzzed-up jake, and 8 hens. All DSD's too, so it's the most realistic-looking setup imaginable. I never use them when hunting by myself, but in those wide-open sod farms I've had toms run for 600 yards to come face-to-face with that strutter. Shame on 'em when they do.......
hookspur

Postby Ms Turkey Hunter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:05 pm

1 hen and sometimes I"ll put out a jake
it's not the harvest....it's the chase
Ms Turkey Hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:24 pm

If I am hunting in woods I don't use one at all. if hunting in fields I have a strutter a jake and 2 hens that I can use as I see fit.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:04 pm

"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby don novicki » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:24 pm

I know this is an old post but I'm trying to get these boards going again. Just like all the duck hunting boards people have dropped off so here goes. I use one decoy and frankly I don't know why I ever bought one. Even bought a DSD in 2010 and I'll bet not one bird has ever really showed any interest at all. In fact most of em haven't even seen it at all. Waste o money IMO.....
don novicki

Postby cut_un » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:04 am

I seem to be the opposite from some! Over the years... for the most part, have had positive responces for decoy use!

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby Phil_W » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:44 am

I've been turkey hunting for 35 years and have used decoys on and off the whole time. I have had all kinds of result, especially when comparing non-pressured turkeys to pressured ones. I had gobblers run in and attack both jake and mature tom decoys, I had gobblers try to mate my decoys, I've had turkeys spook and run off from decoys, and I've had turkeys walk right by them like they even didn't see them. Someone stated that you need to know what the turkey wants to see. LOL Would someone please explain to me how I'm suppose to know what a turkey wants to see? Furthermore, turkeys have different personalities and moods from day to day and can be very unpredictable. I will say this, most of the gobblers I have taken on decoys have been 2 year olds, not the long spured 3-4-5 year olds. The 2 year olds can be like high school boys, easy to trick. There have been lots of days that I wasn't in the mood to carry all that extra stuff in the woods and still carried a long beard out. Bottom line, go hunting, use the decoys and see what happens. They're no cut and dried rules to using decoys. Good luck and be SAFE!
Phil_W

Postby cut_un » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:22 pm

All true!!

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

PreviousNext