Lead Patterns!!!

A place to talk about patterning your shotgun for turkey hunting.

Lead Patterns!!!

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Here's a Federal Grand Slam Lead (the loads BEFORE the Flight control wad came out) pattern. My thumbhole 835 at 40 yards through the Truglo Bone Collector .670 choke. Not sure why the paper says 36 yards...all the shooting we did that day was at 40...weird. Oh well I know it was at a lazered 40...
Attachments
IMG_2012030849991.jpg
Fed grand slam lead 6s at 40 yards.
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Re: Lead Patterns!!!

Postby Timberghost » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Not bad :thumbsup:
Team I wish we had a contest this year!
Timberghost

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:07 am

Looks good.. Hey DSM have you seen some of the patterns coming out of the Federal Turkey Thug Wal Mart edition :shock:

I have not played with lead in years but am going to pick some up if I can find some in 6s.. If I were not hooked on my 20 and was going back to a 12, I would most likely swap chokes till I found the 150 ish and be done with HTL..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 am

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Looks good.. Hey DSM have you seen some of the patterns coming out of the Federal Turkey Thug Wal Mart edition :shock:

I have not played with lead in years but am going to pick some up if I can find some in 6s.. If I were not hooked on my 20 and was going back to a 12, I would most likely swap chokes till I found the 150 ish and be done with HTL..

Turkey Thug=Strut Shok. The only thing I have seen so far that's different between the two is the package and the stanp on the side of the shell. Slightly diferent buffer and no copper plating and the basic, (non-triple plus wad) wad...only things that set them apart from the Grand Slam Premium loads.

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:33 am

You know who I am talking about but he dissected and said they have a higher amount of buffer and a higher gas seal.. They hit it out of the park with this load.. They just need to keep it around and no tinkering :fingerpoint:
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:03 pm

ICDEDTURKES wrote:You know who I am talking about but he dissected and said they have a higher amount of buffer and a higher gas seal.. They hit it out of the park with this load.. They just need to keep it around and no tinkering :fingerpoint:

Yup...I saw it too. Federal, like every other ammo company out there just can't seem to leave a good thing well enough alone can they?! :fingerhead: Good thing I have over 100 rounds of the 3.5/2/6 Grand Slam loads and about that in the 20 gauge version too. Good lord I have more QUALITY turkey ammo than my old sporting goods store, Gander and Dick's COMBINED right now! :banana: I did a count last night and after selling off MOST...not ALL of my Winchester Ext Rng ammo, I have right around 300 rounds of PB loads and something like 275 rounds of HTL. Woo Hoo! Bring on the zombie turkey appocolypse!! :banger:

dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby Ms Turkey Hunter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:56 pm

between my 20ga's and 12ga's I got well over 450 rds of lead ammo and 150 HTL ammo
it's not the harvest....it's the chase
Ms Turkey Hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Longbeardsonly wrote:I have never patterned a lead load that comes close to the
patterns I get with the Magnum Blends in my Benelli
or Beretta

Well...DUH! Its hevi shot. Lead, prior to the longbeards anyways, could never dream to touch the patterns that hevi shot, magblends or fed heavyweights can produce. You either are pretty new to turkey hunting or don't remember when lead was all we had...or both. Lol

dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Return to Shotgun Patterning Forum