Does anyone use a ground blind?

A place to ask questions and share information on ground blinds.

Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:17 am

I've only been at turkey hunting for the past two spring seasons when i was down in North Florida. I have struck out both seasons. I missed on a turkey last spring, and that is the closest i have come. I'm hoping that changes this upcoming season.

As for the blind. My first season i did not use a ground blind and i'm not sure if my movements from time to time sent them off. This past season i used the ground blind i had for deer hunting. I felt a little better using it because it muffled any sound in the blind and helped a lot on consealing my movement from time to time. I was able to call in a few turkeys, but missed when i misjudged the distance. I should have waited, but adrenaline got the best of me.

So i was just curious to see if anyone else uses a ground blind?
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia
Norfolk, VA
Ichabod97

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby cut_un » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:24 am

Nick, more of a run and gun style of turkey hunter... But do like to have one available that I can go to on those rainy days! A nice little hidden field/foodplot is perfect for those days..... better than sitting the day out.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby Brad » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Nick, you chasin easterns or Osceolas................my understanding is the latter are harder to hunt.

as far as a blind................not usually, like Joe I like to run and gun in the mornings, usually just my leafy suit and a good W I D E tree
Brad

Postby cut_un » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:36 am

I hear it's harder to locate decent spots allowing hunting and holding birds down that way, as far as the actual "hunting of the bird"....not too bad...from what I hear.Some say because of hunting pressure, our easterns are harder to actually call in and kill!
Last edited by cut_un on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby Baysider » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:40 am

A nice big tree and a good back drop with plenty cover behind me is all Ive needed. We do have a pop-up on the farm for deer this year. Im sure it will be around for spring gobbler.

I too would rather move a bit after calling and nothing showing. A bit harder to do on this flat land without being spotted though.
Baysider

Postby Ichabod97 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:14 am

Yeah i was chasing Osceola's. Our lease was covered up with them in most spots...smart bird!
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia
Norfolk, VA
Ichabod97

Postby gobblin870 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Kill a bird out a blind every spring. Usally start my morning's on a ridge listening for the first birds to let er rip on the roost. If no luck on him i'll take my double bull blind, and set it up in the middle of the field where they do most of there struttin!!!
gobblin870

Postby Nick Roehl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:18 pm

It's hard to beat a Double Bull ground blind. I have been using one for years now. It is great for masking movement, especially bow, and has plenty of room for everything.
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Postby cut_un » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:28 pm

How hard is the DB to set up Nick???? would you consider it"portable" or would it be something you'd want to set up in a plot and leave it out?

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby Nick Roehl » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:24 am

It's a hub style blind. Set up is very easy. It's a bigger style blind to so a little heavier then others. I carry mine in and out of places. You could definitely leave it out, I don't like to leave mine out because people steal everything and they aren't cheap.
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Next

Return to Ground Blinds Forum