Some Advice

Discuss Merriam's Turkey hunting tactics here.

Some Advice

Postby The Confederate » Fri May 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Im thinking about taking a trip to the Black Hills next spring. I know its a draw system for tags in SD...any ideas or guesses what the chances of being drawn are? Also, is it better to be there the first week or are they also vocal and killable during the last couple of weeks as well? I have no idea where to start really and plan to hunt public land, so any advice is appreciated from you guys in SD.
The Confederate

Re: Some Advice

Postby phutch30 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 pm

As far as when to go I like late season. Theres less pressure and most of the hens are setting and the weather tends to be better.
phutch30

Postby The Confederate » Fri May 11, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the advice.
The Confederate

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon May 14, 2012 7:03 am

I have hunted the Black Hills of WY and SD.. I do not believe SD black hills is a draw only the prairie units..

I too would recommend going later.. We always went early and most birds were still congregated in the pastures on private land and you would set as close as possible and call them off the private.. Later in the year birds filter back in the hills.. Also the first year we went there was not that many folks.. The next spring the Chamber for the city we went to started putting ads in popular turkey hunting media and the place was a circus act for the opener..

IME there is no hidden areas in the black hills of SD.. I would set out to get far off the road,after a short walk it seemed as if you always hit another forest road or walking trail..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Return to Merriam's Turkey