South Dakota trip details finalized

Discuss Merriam's Turkey hunting tactics here.

South Dakota trip details finalized

Postby Super Dave 32 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:15 pm

I finally found a good place to stay close to the 11,000 acres that we are going to hunt in western S Dakota. We leave a week from Friday. I am jacked up! I'm taking the stick and string but am definitely packing Not-so-gentle Ben(elli) just in case the gobblers aren't coming in to 10 yds.

Anybody been hunting SD this year? How's the bird population?
Super Dave 32

Re: South Dakota trip details finalized

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:19 pm

I would love to hunt there!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Re: South Dakota trip details finalized

Postby Super Dave 32 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:56 am

We got our asses handed to us in South Dakota. The first evening it POURED down rain on us and was about 50 degrees. That night the wind came up to a steady 40 mph with gusts in the 50's easy. Woke up to 38 degrees with a steady 35-40 mph northwest wind. The high never got above 51 for 3 straight days. It blew like that for two days and we threw in the towel and headed to Nebraska. Never fired a shot or even had a bird close enough to shoot in 3 days of SD. Funny though. Last year we killed 4 birds by 9:00 am the first day of the hunt about 30 miles south of where we were. But that's what a difference in weather will do.

Here in Neb, we just got out for our first morning hunt. Called one in from a hill about 1/4 mile away. He came all the way to 82 yards and then decided that there was something he didn't like. My guess is that he didn't like the two hen decoys just sitting there like mannequins. Who knows with turkey?????

Time for a quick nap and then out and after them again in an hour.

If we don't do any good today or tomorrow, the season is over for Super Dave and the crew. Honestly, I'm ready. We've been scouting / hunting them hard for two months.

Good luck to those still hunting. We'll hear from you all next year!!!
Super Dave 32

Return to Merriam's Turkey