Idaho Merriam's Help

Discuss Merriam's Turkey hunting tactics here.

Idaho Merriam's Help

Postby id_birdhntr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:16 pm

I took my son out in SW Idaho for the youth season on Saturday and had a tom gobbling as soon as we got out of the truck. We closed to within 150-200 yards, set the decoys up and waited till shooting light to start calling. He responded each time to the call but when he came off the roost he flew all the way across the drainage to the other side(500 yards or so). We picked up and started heading his way and called as we got closer but he only answered twice after and then shut up the rest of the morning. We sat in the same spot calling every 5 minutes or so for 30-40 min and nothing. We then started hiked the logging roads and called every 10 minutes or so but nothing. We saw one more lone tom glassing some open pockets but he wouldn't respond but had walked into private ground by the time we got closer. I am not a real experienced turkey hunter so is it too early for them to be fired up or am I missing something. You would think a lone tom would be all over a call. Didn't hear another bird but there was sign that birds are in the area everywhere. Saw droppings, tracks and even a few feathers. Our season runs until May 25th so we have some time but just curious what I should try next time. I really want to get my son a turkey this year. If all else fails I may just have to drive further north where populations are higher and it's less crowded as we will be hunting the general season from now on.
id_birdhntr

Return to Merriam's Turkey