Chasing Merriam's

Discuss Merriam's Turkey hunting tactics here.

Re: Chasing Merriam's

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:53 am

Ive been fortunate to go hunt merriams the past 8 or 10 years. They are a ton of fun.. I love the Oobbble I mean gobble.

I think my favorite part about hunting them is the hen vocalizations. You will hear more hen talk in 1 or 2 days than a season chasing easterns..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby Nick Roehl » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:21 am

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Ive been fortunate to go hunt merriams the past 8 or 10 years. They are a ton of fun.. I love the Oobbble I mean gobble.

I think my favorite part about hunting them is the hen vocalizations. You will hear more hen talk in 1 or 2 days than a season chasing easterns..

I completely agree the hens love to talk, and that is fun. I have had a lot of gobblers in my area come in quiet but you always know when a hen is around and that gives a guy hope.
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:47 am

Nick Roehl wrote:
ICDEDTURKES wrote:Ive been fortunate to go hunt merriams the past 8 or 10 years. They are a ton of fun.. I love the Oobbble I mean gobble.

I completely agree the hens love to talk, and that is fun. I have had a lot of gobblers in my area come in quiet but you always know when a hen is around and that gives a guy hope.

Yes we go so early, and in alot of cases it is not the typical call, bird gobbles back scenario.. A good percentage of the birds we kill out west is a group of hens dragging a gobbler or two in toe to hen yelping.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby tgs » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Just curious guys...Are these public land hunts? Being from the east, all I hunt is public land but would someday love to go after a Merriam's. Thanks a lot!
tgs

Postby Super Dave 32 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Nick - I haven't made it to North Dakota ---- yet!
Great looking bird! How's the bird population doing up north? I understand you guys got a ton of rain last spring.
Super Dave 32

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Super Dave 32 wrote:Nick - I haven't made it to North Dakota ---- yet!
Great looking bird! How's the bird population doing up north? I understand you guys got a ton of rain last spring.

Our population has declined due to 3 bad winters in a row with spring rains on top. The state cut the tags quite a bit.
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Previous

Return to Merriam's Turkey