Less than two weeks

Discuss Rio Grande Turkey hunting tactics here.

Less than two weeks

Postby oklongbeard » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:11 am

With less than two weeks I finally located a roost and hopefully they will be still using it come this weekend. Seems like more and more people I talk to are having the same problems as me with just not seeing very many birds. Unless your by the river or in the extreme west. Hope everyones season finishes off well!
oklongbeard

Re: Less than two weeks

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:14 pm

It's winding down. I'm bummed. But my seasons going about like yours. Haven't seen or even heard a bird since the weekend before the season started. There's a few areas around here that don't open until the last 2 weeks, so hopefully these birds will be more talkative.

Good luck with the rest of your season.
S**t happens when you're havin' fun.
River Ramblin' Man

Postby Box Call » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:05 pm

I hope to make it out one more time next weekend. I have not been hearing a lot from people as most here in OK might have either limited or just given up for the year.

I never give up as it is just nice to be out of there in the woods.
Never, never, never give up. - Winston Churchill
Box Call

Postby oklongbeard » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Most of the guys I've talked to haven't been seeing the amount of birds as usual for this area. (SW)
oklongbeard

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:12 am

Finished my Okla limit last weekend. Killed all three on different pieces of land. The ones from far, far SW Okla were SKINNY! All three were two year old birds with nice beards (8 to 9 1/2") but not a single bird weighed over 17 lbs. No fat at all around their upper chest area. I really think the drought put the hurt on the turkey.

But here's the reason that I posted -- my daughter. I have a TINY little lease 10 minutes from our house. I've been seeing two nice toms on the land and an occassional single tom wandering around. We left the house yesterday at 4:10 pm. Arrived at the land at 4:25 and got the Double Bull set up by 4:30. We heard one gobble from a couple hundred yards away off to our south. I hit the box call and he answered. We rushed to put on our face masks and get the gun loaded. 8 minutes later (no joke), this guy shows up 35 yds away fully puffed up with his head a bright white. He strutted by the fence, then crossed under and walked right in to the decoys gobbling, strutting and drumming the whole time. What a gorgeous show!

Then my daughter gave him a face full of #5 Hevi-shot. This is her 2nd bird -- both of them on this tiny lease close to our house. 9 1/2" beard, 3/4" spurs, 19 lbs. (Her first bird ever had an 11" beard! She's spoiled!)

Tell me if you've ever heard of a faster hunt -- we left our house at 4:10 pm and were home cleaning the bird at 5:30!
Attachments
Dani web2.JPG
9 1/2" beard, 3/4" spurs, 19 lbs
Super Dave 32

Postby oklongbeard » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:36 am

Nice!!! Great lookin bird and cute daugther ;) LOL......... I havent heard of a quicker hunt in turkey hunting!! Must have been a great show!

Ive finally started seeing Toms grouped together with hens. That makes me happy even though they are henned up cause i can work with that. All the birds I saw were in open areas. Just how I like them. With one week left its do or die time. I get 2 half days of work this week so ill be able to hunt in the mornings. Bring on the birds!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
oklongbeard

Return to Rio Grande Turkey