EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss Rio Grande Turkey hunting tactics here.

Re: EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby oklongbeard » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:19 pm

Ive had that happen many times Super Dave. But with deer or ducks lol.

Im hoping to do some driving time to some other areas and check them out. I talked to the area biologist this morning and he said that according to his winter surveys the flocks went down a little bit but not much........ Im not too sure about his winter flock accuracy because from what i have seen this area is lacking birds. I haven't been seeing them in the fields like normal, heck I'm not even hearing them gobble.
oklongbeard

Postby Super Dave 32 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:06 pm

Had another goofy turkey hunt story last night. Took my 18 year old daughter and a friend from church and his daughter. She is 21 and was diagnosed with MS at 16. Despite her physical limitations, the girl LOVES to hunt. She had never been on a turkey hunt before.

I have a small piece of land 15 minutes from my house that has a couple of nice gobblers on it. I've scouted them hard and know that they come to roost in one of two directions -- right down a fence line from the south or down a road from the west. When we got to the land at 4:30, we heard them gobble from the south so we set up on the fence line and waited about an hour with no results. About 6:30, we heard them gobble again but from the west. I told everybody that we needed to leave the decoys, grab the gear and run the blind behind us about 75 yards and to head them off on the road which we did. We got settled in the new spot and started calling. Those stupid birds changed directions again and started down the fence line. They came right to the decoys that we left behind and stood there for 45 minutes gobbling and strutting right in our left behind decoys!!!!. DANG IT! Outsmarted myself on this one! Oh well, that's turkey hunting. I've changed positions dozens of times and never had those stupid birds double cross me like this!!! :oops: :oops:

I told the girls that the bad news is that we didn't get 'em that night. The good news is, they'll still be there this weekend!
Super Dave 32

Postby oklongbeard » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:38 am

That stinks super!!!! Don't you just hate when that happens lol!! You will get them this weekend!

That's really somethin to hear of someone with ms getting out turkey hunting. I know someone with it as well and it's a terrible disease. I'm happy to see her love of the outdoors is unwavering despite it. Also it uplifts our livelyhood as hunters when we go out of our way for those with needs. So from one hunter to another I say thank you super Dave. You really are a super Dave!! Lol
oklongbeard

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Too kind oklongbeard! I LOVE taking new people (especially kids) out to hunt turkey.

Unfortunately for me, I finished Okla tags off this morning. My daughter's boyfriend and I went to new ground in not-so-far SW Okla. I called in one at 7:10 am to 32 yds. My partner got a little case of the turkey fever (he's never shot one gobbling and strutting in) and missed. Fortunately, we had another come in strutting, spitting, drumming and gobblind about 45 minutes away. He got to 28 yds when I gave him a SEVERE migraine headace!

Me and my travel buddy are off the first week of May to South Dakota and then swinging back through Nebraska on the way home.

Good luck to all as season draws to a close! This is my favorite time of year. We didn't see but two hens this morning. Lots of bachelor groups lookin' for love in all the wrong places!!!
Super Dave 32

Previous

Return to Rio Grande Turkey