Quiet…

Discuss Rio Grande Turkey hunting tactics here.

Quiet…

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:14 pm

This makes 2 weekends in a row that I didn't hear a single bird sound off. Youth weekend was great, tons off gobbling. But the last 2 weekends have been a different story. I didn't expect a ton of gobbling, but none is pretty unusual. They won't even gobble on the roost, which is way odd for the area.

Anyone else dealing with this? Or has in the past? Could it be the unusually warm winter that's got them acting weird?
S**t happens when you're havin' fun.
River Ramblin' Man

Re: Quiet…

Postby oklongbeard » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Same here...... But i think in my case its a lack of birds. :cry:
oklongbeard

Postby duckmander » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 pm

same here. they have lock jaw. a few of them have been seen so we know they are atleast a few there. but no talking from them at all.
duckmander

Postby Box Call » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree, opening day they were very loud and gobbling like crazy. My next three days that I hunted, very little noise. My big tom that I shot last week didn't make a noise other than about 100 yards away. Next thing you know I looked right and he and a jake were standing there. They were just strutting around like a couple of mimes.

I am no biologist, but I think the warm spring had them going earlier than normal.
Never, never, never give up. - Winston Churchill
Box Call

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Box Call wrote:I am no biologist, but I think the warm spring had them going earlier than normal.

This would be my guess too.

I know that birds are in the area, I've seen tons of sign and even heard quite a few hens. But no gobbles. Like Box Call demonstrated though, they can still be killed if they aren't gobbling. It's just more of a guessing game as to where to set up.
River Ramblin' Man

Postby oklongbeard » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:14 pm

My uncle told me tonight that they run their hormones based on the length of days and not so much the heat. He's a biologist.
oklongbeard

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:01 am

Then maybe your first post was right, it's just a lack of birds. I really hope that's not the case though.

I'll be hunting the SE zone of OK. this weekend. So maybe they'll be a little more vocal since the season still hasn't opened down there yet. Hopefully…
River Ramblin' Man

Postby Super Dave 32 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:12 pm

The length of the day is what kicks those hormones in to breed. Doesn't matter how warm it is.

I have been hearing a ton of roost gobbling but not much after they hit the ground. That said, it seems to me like they are starting to gobble more now that I am seeing more bachelor groups (at least here in Okla). I'm seeing groups of 2 - 6 toms out looking for love starting mid-mornings until dark.

The last two weeks is my FAVORITE time of the year. The hens are bred and the boys are still fired up. I cannot wait for this weekend. One more bird and I'll be done with my Okla allotment. Then off to South Dakota and Nebraska the first week in May!!!!!!!!
Super Dave 32

Return to Rio Grande Turkey