Interesting first day

Discuss Rio Grande Turkey hunting tactics here.

Interesting first day

Postby oklongbeard » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Well early this morning i heard............... Nothing... No gobbles, no yelps, no nothin. So i walked to a nearby field and was going to seek out the suckers. I saw a lone hen out in the middle of the field. Setup and got ready to see Mr. Tom...... None came. Later i came across a very talkative hen. Once again lone. I heard (what i thought was a lone hen) down the ridge from me. So i covered a TON of ground and heard no shock gobbles or nothing. Had to go to work in the afternoon but after work i went out and did some scouting. Saw 3 grouped together.

So I'm going to hunt near that area tomorrow. But its not my main hunting area. Kinda confused with all the lone hens in my main area. Maybe something spooked them and broke them up, but it might be all the warm weather has caused the hens to get on the nest early. But......... it could be REAL good if i could find the toms.

Interesting first day to say the least.
oklongbeard

Re: Interesting first day

Postby GobbleChaser » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:31 pm

Sounds like they are starting to take after the easterns....lol. Still looking forward to getting to Oklahoma to chase the rios.... you need to get them acting right before I come over. We are going to hunt the south central part of the state... where we normally hunt ducks... along the Red River.
GobbleChaser

Postby oklongbeard » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:07 am

The past few days ive been having jakes gobble in the area i was hunting. But im going to hunt a different area far away from those jakes. I was kinda hoping a big boy would move into the area and beat up on them, but it hasnt happened yet. So i think ill just hunt another place. :mrgreen:

But they are starting to act kinda "normal" now.

Ill make sure and have them all straightened up by the time you get here chaser!
oklongbeard

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 am

oklongbeard wrote:Well early this morning i heard............... Nothing... No gobbles, no yelps, no nothin. So i walked to a nearby field and was going to seek out the suckers. I saw a lone hen out in the middle of the field. Setup and got ready to see Mr. Tom...... None came. Later i came across a very talkative hen. Once again lone. I heard (what i thought was a lone hen) down the ridge from me. So i covered a TON of ground and heard no shock gobbles or nothing. Had to go to work in the afternoon but after work i went out and did some scouting. Saw 3 grouped together.

So I'm going to hunt near that area tomorrow. But its not my main hunting area. Kinda confused with all the lone hens in my main area. Maybe something spooked them and broke them up, but it might be all the warm weather has caused the hens to get on the nest early. But......... it could be REAL good if i could find the toms.

Interesting first day to say the least.

Same thing happened to me opening weekend. The weekend before was nuts. They'd gobble at just about anything. Then I went out opening weekend and didn't hear a single gobble all weekend. Kinda depressing, but oh well. I'll be back out next weekend. Hopefully they're out of their "funk."
S**t happens when you're havin' fun.
River Ramblin' Man

Return to Rio Grande Turkey