Who's all been scouting?

Discuss Rio Grande Turkey hunting tactics here.

Who's all been scouting?

Postby oklongbeard » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 pm

I haven't had a chance to scout any yet hopefully ill get out this next week when it warms up and be able to scout. Just wondering if anyone else around the region of the rio's have scouted any.
oklongbeard

Re: Who's all been scouting?

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Heck yeah! I have been scouting for the past month. I have put out 6 trailcams and even bought a Moultrie Plot Stalker (time delay camera) to try out.

Things are looking good on the 500 acres to the SW part of the state. Lots of birds in the trailcam pics. I just paid my lease on a 200 acre spot ELEVEN miles from my house. My daughter killed a huge tom (10 1/2" beard) there last year but it was the only male bird that I saw on the place. Last night I went up there about 2 hrs before dark. I counted over 50 total with 8 nice toms. Watched them until they flew up to roost. Now I know EXACTLY where they're sleeping.

BTW, with the unbelievably warm weather, it looks to me that the toms are already chasing the hens. Maybe by the time season starts, they'll have most of the hens bred and be looking for love. I love hunting late season for that reason. Not as many live hens to keep the toms busy. More time for them to come look for me!
Super Dave 32

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

X2 on loving the late season!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby swampcrawler » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Super Dave 32 wrote:Heck yeah! I have been scouting for the past month. I have put out 6 trailcams and even bought a Moultrie Plot Stalker (time delay camera) to try out.

Things are looking good on the 500 acres to the SW part of the state. Lots of birds in the trailcam pics. I just paid my lease on a 200 acre spot ELEVEN miles from my house. My daughter killed a huge tom (10 1/2" beard) there last year but it was the only male bird that I saw on the place. Last night I went up there about 2 hrs before dark. I counted over 50 total with 8 nice toms. Watched them until they flew up to roost. Now I know EXACTLY where they're sleeping.

BTW, with the unbelievably warm weather, it looks to me that the toms are already chasing the hens. Maybe by the time season starts, they'll have most of the hens bred and be looking for love. I love hunting late season for that reason. Not as many live hens to keep the toms busy. More time for them to come look for me!

Hope they are still in the area after breakup.200 acres isn't alot of room once they start splitting up
swampcrawler

Return to Rio Grande Turkey