Setting up a hunt!

Discuss Rio Grande Turkey hunting tactics here.

Setting up a hunt!

Postby cut_un » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:45 am

In the process of heading out to CA. late April,early May for a combo Rio spring turkey /wild hog hunt! Still hoping to put the smack down on one of those long legged birds :smash:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Re: Setting up a hunt!

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby cut_un » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Should be brother..... Really like the guides& outfitter! Hoping to scratch that bird off my list and should be out of hog meat by then :groovin:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:40 pm

I have never hunted Osceolas but have hunted Easterns, Merriams and Rios in numerous states and when its right nothings beats a Rio... If you want to delay your kill a few minutes and hear 500 gobbles just keep calling.. No gobbler will quadruple gobble and whatever the word for 5 is gobble like Rio. Truly a fun bird to hunt..

With that being said, depending on terrain.. If you get behind one, find another or put your track shoes on.. They will cover ground 10x as fast as you do hunting at an Eastern pace in most terrain..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby cut_un » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Saw that this past fall brother...they def have some long legs and some of the biggest feet I have even seen on an old turkey bird :rof:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:18 am

cut_un wrote:Saw that this past fall brother...they def have some long legs and some of the biggest feet I have even seen on an old turkey bird :rof:

In KS this past spring... I entered a small woods 10 acres or so... Upon entering Bam got a gobble and some hens yelping.. Set up and they gobbled every call but going away.. Knowing with terrain a large opening coming up I knew I could not get around them and beat them to the cedar windbreaks 1/2 mile the other side, I sprinted to the truck.. I got in the truck and tore down the road to the other side of the property to cut them off.. Knowing they were the other side of the windbreak I sprinted through the open ground to the backside of the wind break and hit the crow.. Boom Gobble A long ways to my west (direction they were headed).. Surely could not be them... Crept around the wind break and yelped Boom, Gobble further to the west.. Glassed sure enough barely in sight.. That flocked covered 1 mile in like 15 minutes... :eyeroll:

On the other hand it can work in your favor... Our weather improved in KS, Sal and I decided to hunt together that afternoon.. We got settled in and after some blind calling, got a gobble so far UPWIND it was barely audible.. The kind you question.. ANother call another gobble.. Make a long story short this bird covered what I believe to be a 1/2 mile across the property line or so gobbling every step.. We first saw him at the fence at a couple hundred yards and he proceeded to gobble just off the fence walking its length.. We circled back around as we obviously were not in a spot he wanted to cross after coming such great distance with such ferocity in his gobbling.. Hit the call bam gobble, got him all worked up and shut up... The bird after coming all that way gobbling every step gobbled every step finally shut up as well.. He was either coming or had lost interest.. About 5 minutes of silence and he popped out 30 yards to the right.. That bird covered an amazing amount of ground and I do not know if I have ever heard a bird gobble that much... 4-5 hundred times I would guess..

They do not call them ramblin Rios for nothing.. You can have the best roost in the county one morning with more turkeys than you can shake a stick at.. Next day, Nada... Fun bird to hunt if you are not on the S end of a North bound train..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby cut_un » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:13 am

Knowing very little about the birds out in Ca.... seems to me, at least from what I saw while hog hunting "my spot" work the roost area at daybreak... Thinking the will fly down and walk the roads ,heading to the water holes ....... Will follow the guides lead but if I were hunting tomorrow.... I think I would attempt to walk the many roads, locate the tracks/drag marks..get a drection of travel.. but overall, loacte the roosted bird(s) and set up between the roost and the nearest waterhole. Make sense???? Do know .from past experience... don't guide the guide :umm:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:53 am

They sound like a exciting bird to hunt. Maybe someday I will get to hunt them.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Return to Rio Grande Turkey