Turkey vest..

Discuss other turkey hunting gear here.

Re: Turkey vest..

Postby oklongbeard » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 pm

I use the Redhead Classic. Im thinking about getting a Cabela's Tactical Turkey.
oklongbeard

Postby Super Dave 32 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 pm

I ditched the turkey vest last year. I bought a Cabelas Gobbler Lounger and carry my calls in a small camo pouch. The Gobbler Lounger allows me to sit VERY comfortably for hours without my legs going to sleep. It has a carry strap on it that I can sling over my shoulder.

I never liked sitting on the ground with my back against a tree. Never found a tree that was very comfortable! ;o)
Super Dave 32

Postby duckmander » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 pm

I tried to find pics on the net and fried this computer. the wifey finally got a chance to patch it back up.

I hate my butt being on the ground too. and I hate my butt and legs going numb if I set a little too long.
I can sit in this one from can to can't. It has a metal pipe frame up the back and under the pouch in back.
I seen jimmy houston turkey hunting on a show years ago and he had one of these vests on. I ordered one the next week. It took me that long to find them. they were all but out of business at the time. I have used it for 6 ot 8 years now. when it does give out on me. Im gonna be lost. because I'll never find another one.

here some pics of it. both open and closed. It has just the right amount of pockets in just the right places. and I can still put more in it then I need to carry.

I have found over the years that if I dont sit against a tree I dont get as many ticks.

duckmander

Postby BigAL64 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:59 am

Thats pretty cool!! It's like a strut seat built into a vest with a back on it.
I would like one of those. Wish they still made them.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby duckmander » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:11 am

Thanks AL it is perfect for me. I've used it for a few years now. Already put a couple of patches on it. I will be lost when the day comes it is unreparable.
duckmander

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:06 pm

BigAL64 wrote:I got a Walmart special! :lol: :lol:

If its the Field Line they sold a few years back, Sal has one because she found a small and it is a great vest for the price, features you would have to pay 4x as much for..

Duck Mander, if that is the Little Big Horn I believe that Custom Gun Socks is now re building them old vests..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:11 pm

About 3 years ago I retired the MO and Ol Tom vest and went to the Beardbuster Run and Gun turkey belt.

and added this to the opposite side

I realized the more pockets I had the more stuff I never use I carry.. I have really narrowed down what I carry and the Beardbuster Belt is perfect.. I only carry 2 pots in it.. I carry 3 strikers in the striker slots.. I use the box call pouch for a water bottle. It has a nice pocket that fits a thermacell perfect.. The large pouch I keep a Hoot N Stick, sand paper, paper punch, knife, snack.. I throw a handful of mouth yelpers in my pocket, use my stretchee cord on Ol tom shirt for my crow a tube and trumpet around the neck.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby duckmander » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:31 pm

[quote="ICDEDTURKES:
Duck Mander, if that is the Little Big Horn I believe that Custom Gun Socks is now re building them old vests..[/quote]

I believe you are right. I think that is the name of my vest.

It would be great if someone still made them when I need another one. I have put many a miles on mine.
I have thought about getting a new one. but none of them have the pockets I want or like. they all have some I like and some I dont want. this one is the only one that I feel has it all. and in just the right places. I used to carry 2 3 or 6 of many different calls. but now I carry only one pot call and 4 strikers. hence 4 dif calls. with minimal load to carry. My vest hunting ready still tips the scale around 30ish lbs. and I took 90% out of it a few years ago.

I know I carry way too much stuff. But I mostly walk a while then set for a long time. then repeat. If Im runing and guning I will either take a couple calls and no vest or I will unload all but two calls from the vest and go.
duckmander

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:18 pm

ICDEDTURKES wrote:About 3 years ago I retired the MO and Ol Tom vest and went to the Beardbuster Run and Gun turkey belt.

and added this to the opposite side

I realized the more pockets I had the more stuff I never use I carry.. I have really narrowed down what I carry and the Beardbuster Belt is perfect.. I only carry 2 pots in it.. I carry 3 strikers in the striker slots.. I use the box call pouch for a water bottle. It has a nice pocket that fits a thermacell perfect.. The large pouch I keep a Hoot N Stick, sand paper, paper punch, knife, snack.. I throw a handful of mouth yelpers in my pocket, use my stretchee cord on Ol tom shirt for my crow a tube and trumpet around the neck.

That is a pretty cool belt!! I like it!! 8-)
And yes that is the one I got from walmart.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby cut_un » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:47 am

Bit the bullet yesterday and got a new turkey vest. I'd been saying for the last 3 years that it was time but would talk myself out of it.......I guess the one I had was over 12 years old and it was much like slippin on an old pair of shoes. Felt good!
But, had a $50.00 gift card I needed to burn so I decided it was a good time to change up using a card I could plop down towards the purchase! The vest I chose is made by Primos,called the Gobbler Vest. Plenty of pockets and a nice padded seat,one that I will probably remove as I carry a small turkey seat 98% of the time. The vest has plenty of grren in it too,the pattern is Realtree APG HD so I should blend right in! Will start swaping it out this am ;) ;)
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Other Gear