Fighting the critters..

Discuss other turkey hunting gear here.

Fighting the critters..

Postby cut_un » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:16 pm

What do you guys use to fight all the unwanted critters in the spring turkey woods. I still use deep woods off but I think wearing knee high rubber boots helps a bunch with the ticks & chiggers. I bought a Thermo-cell a couple years ago....Love that thing... How about you? Whats in your bag of tricks :?:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Re: Fighting the critters..

Postby Nick Roehl » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:31 pm

I do the same thing. I wear knee high rubber boots, and use ThermoCell. Sometimes I don't do that I just were long sleeves, facemasks, and gloves.
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Postby cut_un » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:24 am

No pants and drawers?????? :lol: :lol: Not ever huntin with you......

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby Nick Roehl » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:24 pm

cut_un wrote:No pants and drawers?????? :lol: :lol: Not ever huntin with you......

If you need pants it isn't worth doing buddy!! :lol:
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Postby cut_un » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Hey....I'm with ya on that :D
Last edited by cut_un on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby misfire » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:04 am

NEVER leave home with out my Thermacell. One of the spots I hunted last year, I watched as the carnivorous hummingbirds carried away a small fawn and two alligators :D When the guy parked his truck, I couldnt hear him talking due to the loud buzzing outside the truck, wished I had six Thermacells that morning. Once you sat down you could see a wall of mosquitos about 3' away from the end of your shotgun barrel just waiting for the butane to run out. Danged near had to run back to the truck once you stood up. Also wear knee high snake proof boots, nothing like getting surprised when you step on something you didnt see or hear
misfire

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:21 pm

The inventor of the Thermacell should be awarded the nobel peace prize or some other equivilant award! I never go in the turkey woodswithout it any more. For the creepy crawlies, I always spray my camo down with permethrin spray. Douse it heavy and let them hang to dry. I have treated my clothes and 2 1/2 weeks later watched ticks and ants crawl up my boot, onto my pants leg and get sick and die and fall off my leg. The stuff WORKS!! I mix my own using the 2.5% concetrate and dilute to about a 4:1 ratio with water in a heavy duty spray bottle and even though the stuff can still be active even after going through the washer, I will retreat maybe once or twice more a season. I do the same thing to my pop up blinds along the bottom and to my layout blinds in early season cuz spider are icky! :o
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby Gus_13 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

dsm16428 wrote:The inventor of the Thermacell should be awarded the nobel peace prize or some other equivilant award! I never go in the turkey woodswithout it any more. For the creepy crawlies, I always spray my camo down with permethrin spray. Douse it heavy and let them hang to dry. I have treated my clothes and 2 1/2 weeks later watched ticks and ants crawl up my boot, onto my pants leg and get sick and die and fall off my leg. The stuff WORKS!! I mix my own using the 2.5% concetrate and dilute to about a 4:1 ratio with water in a heavy duty spray bottle and even though the stuff can still be active even after going through the washer, I will retreat maybe once or twice more a season. I do the same thing to my pop up blinds along the bottom and to my layout blinds in early season cuz spider are icky! :o

I'm gonna try this permethrin stuff. I'm a little girl when it comes to ticks and spiders. I always get made fun of for how I react. I can handle a snake just not something that I might not ever see! Snakes can sneak up on ya but I catch myself looking for that all the time.
Strut. Gobble. Die.
Gus_13
Forum Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:08 pm

I just use OFF. Save my thermacell for deer hunting. Turks can't smell the OFF like deer can.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:11 pm

BigAL64 wrote:I just use OFF. Save my thermacell for deer hunting. Turks can't smell the OFF like deer can.

Deet is great. I still have and use the military grade cremes. But...it will eat plastic, the rubber on your diaphram calls, take the paint off your shotgun, get in your eyes when you sweat... The stuff that doesn't eat plastic doesn't really work on ticks anywhere near as well as deet or for as long.
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Other Gear