Fighting the critters..

Discuss other turkey hunting gear here.

Re: Fighting the critters..

Postby therhino » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:57 am

Does the Thermacell contraption work for ticks, as well as fliers? Spring ticks are murderous out here in Maine. The areas I'll be hunting, my wife took our dog for a walk once...she had 15 ticks on her, and the dog had 20+ from an hour-long walk. If it works for ticks, maybe I'll buy two, and duct tape one to the dog.
I've heard great things about permethrin. The wife says it's one of the active ingredients in the fly spray she used to put on her horse.
therhino

Postby duckmander » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:10 pm

dsm16428 wrote:The inventor of the Thermacell should be awarded the nobel peace prize or some other equivilant award! I never go in the turkey woodswithout it any more. For the creepy crawlies, I always spray my camo down with permethrin spray. Douse it heavy and let them hang to dry. I have treated my clothes and 2 1/2 weeks later watched ticks and ants crawl up my boot, onto my pants leg and get sick and die and fall off my leg. The stuff WORKS!! I mix my own using the 2.5% concetrate and dilute to about a 4:1 ratio with water in a heavy duty spray bottle and even though the stuff can still be active even after going through the washer, I will retreat maybe once or twice more a season. I do the same thing to my pop up blinds along the bottom and to my layout blinds in early season cuz spider are icky! :o

Pm me your rec.
They dont sell the permethrin anymore. and the permanon they sell now is like the skeeter sprays are. Like syrup on the pancakes. please and thank you.
duckmander

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:00 am

Tractor Supply and Value Home Centers carrie it in the concentrate form. Whatever the concentration of Permethrin is in the original container, you'll want to mix it to a ratio where you get a final solution of 2-2.5% concentration.

Here's the tractor supply link. I'm pretty sure you can only purchase this in the store though, but I could be wrong. If the concentrate is 10% strength, that means you should have YEARS worth of bug free hunting clothes in a 32 ounce bottle. :D

http://www.tractorsupply.com/permethrin ... z--2212611
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby DocHolladay » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:22 am

I use a Therma-cell and this stuff. It lasts for several washings and you can find dead ticks on you from time to time where they tried to climb on you and didnt make it. Wonderful stuff and it is scent free for when you are in the early season deer woods. Keep it off your skin.... it burns!!

http://www.sawyerdirect.net/item.cfm?prodid=CP22200
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Postby duckmander » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:39 pm

thanks for the info. DSM. I will have some of that.

And DOC that is the stuff I used to use.That is the type of label they put on the second version of permethrin. the first ws only yellow with a pic of a tick larger then the writing on the label. After the one in your pic they changed them to a can with copper,blue,and silver with a blue cap. I cant remember for sure but I think the first cans were permanone and now they call it permethrin. and now they dont sell any of it. in any can. But I will be mixing my own from now on.

thanks to both of you.
duckmander

Postby DocHolladay » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Are you saying they don't make that stuff I have a pic of??
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:30 pm

DocHolladay wrote:Are you saying they don't make that stuff I have a pic of??

I think he's saying they changed the label and the active ingredient a while back. It used to look EXACTLY like the stuff we were issued in the military. Just a basic yellow label with a green cap. I like the sawyer stuff but it is actually about 30 times more expensive when compared to buying and mixing the concetrates.
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby Super Dave 32 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Muck boots with my pants tucked in. When i put my boots on, I DOUSE my pants and boots with Deep Woods off. I also spray my waist with Off. I bought a $50 RedHead leafy camo bug suit several years so. It keeps the flies and gnats off my arms and has a hood that I have used on many occassions. Last year I was attacked by friggin' black flies. I just put the hood up and it kept the little buggers off me.

That said, I'm probably buying a ThermaCell this year. i've hear many good things about them as witnessed by all the rave reviews previously posted.
Super Dave 32

Previous

Return to Other Gear