Todays' phones...

Discuss other turkey hunting gear here.

Todays' phones...

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:37 am

Spent a few days duck hunting over on the eastern Shore here in VA. miles and miles of marsh,having channels ,cuts running thru it,one of our fellows had an I phones, he could pull up and look at the area,see where we were and more importantly ,which cut or channel we neededto take to get in and out...... seems to me this gadget would/could be great in the turkey woods?????? anyone use one or thinking about it. I've not make the jump to the I phone, maybe I now have a good reason! What say U?
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Re: Todays' phones...

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:55 am

I use the map, gps and google earth features on my Droid all the time. Gives me a "bird's eye" view of any area I'm hunting. Let's me decide how and where I might be able to set up on a bird, though I admit I usually know the area I'm hunting pretty well already. It really comes in handy when I'm hunting a new area or a ver large tract of SF or game lands.
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby thunderchicken » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:12 am

I just got an iPhone a couple of months ago, so many apps to help out the turkey hunter. I dont even consider it a phone, its more like a computer that makes phone calls.
Hit em high, watch em die!!
thunderchicken

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 am

Thought so...... only problem we had, his battery did not hold up....he would fully charge it overnight,but would not last the day...you guys have the same problem?

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby Gus_13 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 am

I've been in the cellphone/smartphone industry for almost 4 years. I just left my job yesterday actually to start a new job Monday, but I have seen them come along way. I was a Droid user for a while before switching to the iPhone some months back. I love it. And the maps are very convenient. I'm actually using my iPhone now to tether on my computer. It is also my main access to THC since I'm on the road a good bit.

As for the battery, I have a case called a Mophie Juice Pack that lets me use my phone for up to 3 days without having to plug it in. It was expensive (80 bucks I believe) but it is really nice.
Strut. Gobble. Die.
Gus_13
Forum Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Seems to be a good stuff out there,thanks for the batery info problem,will pass it along to my bud! ......next up-grade... guess,I too will have to move into the 21 century :oops: Seems to be ,now days.....a phone is not just a phone anymore :mrgreen:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby nodakoutdoors.com » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:43 pm

thunderchicken wrote:I just got an iPhone a couple of months ago, so many apps to help out the turkey hunter. I dont even consider it a phone, its more like a computer that makes phone calls.

Ain't that the truth...
nodakoutdoors.com
Site Admin

Postby carolinagreenhead » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:43 pm

Mine does everything. There's an app for everything and it works great. To me, it's the best thing for the hunter. It makes scouting so much easier, you can mark spots and find em again. Very handy tool. Oh yeah, it makes calls to. :lol:
You can't kill em sittin on the couch
carolinagreenhead
Site Admin

Postby archerykid13 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:06 pm

I use the GPS for hunting. And if im having a slow day deer hunting ill play some games on there.

Jake
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13

Postby Nick Roehl » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:52 pm

I have a Droid 3 and love it. I use the Google earth/maps all the time, and use a turkey calling app to practice on the calls. I also agree it's more a computer then a phone. Crazy the things you can do on your phone these days.
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Next

Return to Other Gear