Spotting scope

A place to discuss scopes, binocs, and rangefinders used for turkey hunting.

Spotting scope

Postby John McGrath » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 am

Was throwing around the idea of getting a spotting scope for scouting. Anyone use one to scout wide open places? Our local sporting goods store has a Nikon Prostaff 5 20-60X82 for a decent price. Should I make the purchase or would I just be wasting my money on something that a good set of binoculars could do just as well?
John McGrath

Re: Spotting scope

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Spotting scopes come in real handy where you are looking at birds at long distances. You can also use it for scouting other animals as well.I don't have one personally but a few of my friends do and we use them for deer as well as turkey.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby Nick Roehl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:59 pm

A good spotting scope is very nice to have for scouting of a lot of different game. I have a Leupold spotting scope with window mount I use all the time.
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Postby DocHolladay » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:14 pm

I have one that was "loaned" to me. I use it quite a bit. It can be used for anything you want. I have looked at stars and the moon with kids more than I have scouted, but it is great for animals also. I have a tripod and window mount. The loaned scope is a Kowa TSN-883 with a 20-60x eye piece. I would recommend a straight eye piece over an angled one. The angled eye pieces are ok when on a tripod, but a pain in the neck when using a window mount.
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Return to Scopes/Optics