All weather blind

A place to ask questions and share information on ground blinds.

All weather blind

Postby cut_un » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 am

I will be sitting up one blind in the next few weeks, a spot overlooking a small field. My plan is to have a place I can slip into if I'm looking at rain. Have the spot picked out/cleaned off,just waiting for the season to get a lit closer. My plan is to tuck the blind in and leave it in place til the last week. May/may not even use the thing.... just wondering if you guys ever run into anything(critters) in the wee hours as you climb in??? Anything I should know :headscratch:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Re: All weather blind

Postby Timberghost » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:27 am

Just have a light to check for snakes or critters that you wouldn't want to share the blind with.
Team I wish we had a contest this year!
Timberghost

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:02 pm

I have heard about a guy that ran a couple of 5 or 6 ft diamond shaped critters out of his blind in GA. They made it out without their heads. A good 6 or 8 inches in diameter. :shock: :shock:
You can't kill em sittin on the couch
carolinagreenhead
Site Admin

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 pm

I would wait till you are ready to hunt it and then put it right in the middle of the field.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby DocHolladay » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:47 pm

When you set it up, sprinkle some moth balls around the inside of it. That should keep most things out. Just dont put so many that you cant stand to sit in it. They should keep the mice out, keep them out and the snakes should follow. I used to take old pill bottles and drill several holes in it then fill them with moth balls and put them in my boat in the winter to keep the mice out. Come spring, I take them out, dump the moth balls in the trash and store the bottles until I put the boat up again in the winter. You can do this and take a ziploc bag to put them in while hunting so you dont smell them.
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Postby JP_hntnfsh » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:13 am

I generally just move my blind from day to day as i pattern the birds movments. If the weather turns to rain i will set up the blind and wait it out or sit all day. Never been a one spot blind guy unless i hunt the big woods for deer...there i have some build them and leave them blinds/stands.

JP
JP_hntnfsh

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Good stuff about the mothballs! I plan to leave it out ,probably 4 weeks,at least. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:38 pm

If the field is small enough to be able to shoot a turkey in the middle of it fine. But if it isnt and you plan on hunting it in the rain you better put it in the middle of the field because thats where the turkeys are gonna be when its raining!! Unless you have watched these birds enough to know where they enter and exit the field and you put it there!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby cut_un » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Know where the birds are roosting, where the enter/leave the field too....Got the X marked where the blind needs to be...already talked it over with the turkeys,so they are on board with the spot :clap:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby JP_hntnfsh » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 pm

If it was only that easy...usually they are like the clicky group in high school that turns their noses at you and head the other way...just shoot'em in the face I guess.

JP
JP_hntnfsh

Next

Return to Ground Blinds Forum