Does anyone use a ground blind?

A place to ask questions and share information on ground blinds.

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby vt.honker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:35 am

:) I carry a pop-up- tent style blind when taking a kid,guest,for rainy days,and cold mornings.Some early season morns. can be in the LOW 30`s here in Northeast VT.and sometimes you drink alot of coffee waiting for old tom to come off the roost!! My guests and I have killed most of our turkeys with the blind but the BIGGEST I killed was last Spring WITHOUT one .Tom weighed 21lbs+4 ozs.(shot during third week of season),1in.spurs,9.5 in.beard ;) . Image
So many turkeys,so much ammo,so little time left!
vt.honker

Postby 48willys » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:04 pm

I do use one on the rain days when Im sitting on the edge of a field. Mostly to keep my a** dry. Other wise just find a big tree to sit against and a Ghillie Suit. I also am hunting in SE Mo and have not had the oppritunity to hunt any other birds.
48willys

Postby DDTHNC » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:31 pm

I use one all the time i primarily bow hunt so having the extra concealment is great i use a hub style i believe it is 77in side high and all shot this one 6 yards infront of me this past season. 20lbs 11.25 in beard 3/4 in spurs.
Attachments
100_0735 (171x256).jpg
100_0735 (171x256).jpg (144.1 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
DDTHNC

Postby m.teeter » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:32 pm

I've always hunted run n gun style using a leafy suit. But this past spring I added a hub style pop-up blind, best money I ever spent. Literally sets up in seconds and takes down very quickly too. I only hunt public land so leaving it set up is out of the question, it is a little heavy but very do-able to carry in. I have a little spot that I've been hunting in for the last 5 years and it always seems to produce birds, though you may not always kill one you almost always see some. The turkeys act like there is nothing there, even had a hen 5-15 yards from the blind for at least an hour and a half. Throw out a strutter decoy and you are in business. To sum it up, I love my blind and wouldn't have it any other way. Only regrets are I wished I would've discovered this 8 years ago.
Attachments
double beard 2.jpg
(120.18 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
m.teeter

Postby misfire » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:56 am

The only time I use one is when it is raining or have a younger kid with me
misfire

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:07 pm

I'll run a hub style pop up when I'm archery hunting, when taking noobs or kids, or hunting cut off spots where there isn't enough cover. I ran an Eclipse Deluxe and a Double Bull...till this past deer season when some tool stole my Escape right off the edge of a large tract of private land I have permission to hunt. Oh well..time to ask for a replacement for my birthday I guess. ;)
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby huntguy04 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 pm

I only use one when its raining which if anyone else on here hunted in Ohio this past spring knows I probably used one 80% of the season. Shot a turkey in a torrential downpour the second day of our spring season that I know if it weren't for me owning a ground blind i would have just stayed home.

037.JPG
037.JPG (73.47 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
huntguy04

Postby crsm27 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:31 am

One thing about the DB blinds.....make sure you loosen it up with the straps on the opening ports. Hard to describe but if you look at one you will know what I mean. This will save on parts breaking in the hub. Also makes set up easier.

I hunt both out of a blind and run and gun. When I am scouting I find that strut zone they like to use. That is where I will set up my blind. So in the morning I pack everything in, ditch/hide my blind in an area I know I will circle back to and hit the strut zone if I strike out running and gunning.

The DB blind is the best out there IMO. I use them when I help out with youth hunts. It can hold 3 people with plenty of room and will mask movement. I have had turkeys with in 5 yards of the blind with out even knowing what is going on. I also use the blind with my handicaped brother....so a wheel chair and another person plenty of room.
crsm27

Postby Gus_13 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 am

I'm going to grab a DB blind this year to use this year. I have usually just used a good tree or even a ditch on our property. But I am taking a few people this year on their first hunt and it will be easier from a blind.
Strut. Gobble. Die.
Gus_13
Forum Moderator

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Huntguy, I remember that pic from last spring! I took my first bird right after a torrential rain. If I didn't have the blind, I might not have been out either. I like the way the tail feather "dagger out" when they're wet and the bird is still strutting in the rain.
Attachments
20 gauge turkey.jpg
(146.14 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Blinds Forum