Does anyone use a ground blind?

A place to ask questions and share information on ground blinds.

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby swampcrawler » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:38 am

I really don't like blinds for my style of hunting(run and gun).Besides a big oak tree stops shot alot easier then cloth does.I know this for a fact.I was working a long beard 15 years ago .He had 7 or 8 hens with him.After 30 minutes of him gobbling at me and then chasing a hen,i started getting aggressive at the hen .Well that did it the hen got pissed and came right on in followed by the rest of the flock.I let the hen pass by at 10yards and was waiting for the gobbler to get to 20 yards.Then all heck broke loose.Some unethical hunter shot the hen that was standing behind me,you can guess where most of the shot hit.Yep the backside of my tree.I won't go into the details of what happened next,let's just say he got an earful and the mdc got a phone call.I didn't get the gobbler either.Blinds are nice if the birds are on a predictable pattern.But where i hunt the birds never roost in the same spot 2 days in a row.
swampcrawler
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:13 pm


Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby archerykid13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:22 am

In that case swampcrawler, its best to have a nice lightweight blind. I take my blind and bow. Give them an owl hoot, then set up close to where they are. Thats how I adjust to them not roosting in the same place. Just my .02.

Jake
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby BigAL64 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:09 am

archerykid13 wrote:In that case swampcrawler, its best to have a nice lightweight blind. I take my blind and bow. Give them an owl hoot, then set up close to where they are. Thats how I adjust to them not roosting in the same place. Just my .02.

Jake


You got to under stand where swamp hunts. It's all straight up and strait down.You pack as light as possible and it's still allot of work to get around in those big woods. Not like the rolling hills of Indiana. :D Swamp may be 48 but that skinny longleged beanpoll can walk a normal man into the ground in them hills. :lol:
Shoot em in the face!!
User avatar
BigAL64
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:20 am
Location: Just west of STL

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby archerykid13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:18 am

Haha thats true. Itd be a lot different with big hills.
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby swampcrawler » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:11 pm

BigAL64 wrote:
archerykid13 wrote:In that case swampcrawler, its best to have a nice lightweight blind. I take my blind and bow. Give them an owl hoot, then set up close to where they are. Thats how I adjust to them not roosting in the same place. Just my .02.

Jake


You got to under stand where swamp hunts. It's all straight up and strait down.You pack as light as possible and it's still allot of work to get around in those big woods. Not like the rolling hills of Indiana. :D Swamp may be 48 but that skinny longleged beanpoll can walk a normal man into the ground in them hills. :lol:


Longlegged beanpole why thank you Al .Time to get these long legs over to Illinois and pick up some shed antlers.Starting to get cabin fever since duck season's over.To cold to walk a field looking for arrowheads.So i guess it's off to the honey suckle patch for some antlers
swampcrawler
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby archerykid13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Some good old shed hunting sounds great!!
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby swampcrawler » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:34 pm

Well i'm back with 1 horn 4 pts 120 class deer if the other side matches the side i found
swampcrawler
 
Posts: 1594
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby archerykid13 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Not too shabby.
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:14 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby Ms Turkey Hunter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:09 pm

I use one from time to time,especially in rainy weather
it's not the harvest....it's the chase
Ms Turkey Hunter
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 pm

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 am

swampcrawler wrote:Well i'm back with 1 horn 4 pts 120 class deer if the other side matches the side i found


Way to go ole eagle eye!! ;) :lol:
Shoot em in the face!!
User avatar
BigAL64
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:20 am
Location: Just west of STL

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Blinds Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron