Does anyone use a ground blind?

A place to ask questions and share information on ground blinds.

Re: Does anyone use a ground blind?

Postby kydrake » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Cant beat a Double Bull Darkhorse or Crusher!!
kydrake

Postby Nick Roehl » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 pm

kydrake wrote:Cant beat a Double Bull Darkhorse or Crusher!!

Roger that! :D
"Did you feel that? You're with the Deanzie now."
Nick Roehl

Postby Super Dave 32 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm

You bet! I usually reserve the ground blind for when I am taking kids or inexperienced hunters (ie: the ones that cannot sit still for an hour or more). Ground blinds are AWESOME! My son, daughter, daughter's boyfriend and my best duck hunting friend all killed turkey out of my Ameristep Dominator this year.

They are also nice if I am just as interested in enjoying the weather as harvesting a bird. I will admit that there are days that I sit in my ground blind and enjoy a couple of Diet Pepsi's and read the paper or a good book and just completely relax!

I also plan on using my ground blind for archery hunting in Nebraska and S Dakota this spring. I've never taken a turkey with stick and string and I'm already excited for it!
Super Dave 32

Postby kydw » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:26 am

What about windy days, how does the blind hold up then? I feel if I left it out the wind would blow it off.
kydw

Postby Ichabod97 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 pm

i don't leave my blind out, i carry it in every time. My blind came with stakes for each of the corners and for the middle part of each wall. I have never had any problems with it in the wind.
Nick "Ichabod"
Waterfowl Mafia
Norfolk, VA
Ichabod97

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 pm

kydw wrote:What about windy days, how does the blind hold up then? I feel if I left it out the wind would blow it off.

If secured correctly, they are VERY wind resistant, actually had mine out in 35+ mph winds and except for the wind howling you would never have known it was that bad out. I wouldn't worry too much about the wind BUT...what I would worry about are the 2 legged varmints out there that'll steal a blind so fast when they find one it'll make your head spin! Mine got ganked this past fall on very well posted land with no easy access from the road or anyone being able to see it unless you were at least 150 yards into the property. It was left out for deer so that they could get used to it. I never do that for turkey as they could care less as long as it isn't moving. I would also be aware that the sun can and will bleach out the camo pattern on the fabric and can weaken it, making it more prone to ripping at the stress points.
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Like has been said. I use mine to take kids and newbe's and when its raining. I also used it to kill a big tom that would fly down and stay in a field all day with his hens. Found out where he would fly down into the field went out in the middle of the night and set up the blind and decoys. got in the blind well before daylight, the bird flew down right into my lap. :D
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby DoubleBullKilla » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 am

Nick, ground blind hunting for turkeys is my favorite way to hunt. There are many advantages to hunting out of a blind:
*You can move!
*If its windy, you are out of the wind.
*You can sit in comfort and stretch if you get uncomfortable without possibly spooking a bird coming in.
*You can communicate if you are hunting with a buddy.
*You can draw a bow on turkeys with a ground blind.
*If its raining, you stay dry.
*You can set them up in wherever you want and dont have to brush them in.
*If a bird comes in silent, you can move to get in position for a shot.
*They are perfect for someone videoing your hunt.

I would suggest going with a double bull blind. They are quiet to set up, dark on the inside, and have plenty of room.
I wear all black in the blind. I have had turkeys within feet of the blind and they don't pick me off because I match the background (black inside the blind.)

Cheap ground blinds are noisy when setting up, have a thin fabric, not waterproof, don't hold up in the wind, have velcro and zippers (a big red flag to turkeys when used), and not durable.

The disadvantages are:
*If its hot outside, you cook inside the blind. So when I know its going to be warm, I wear camo underneath my black clothing so I can run-n-gun without the blind.
*If your buddy farts, the smell stays in the blind for a while.

Just my 2 cents.
DoubleBullKilla

Postby dsm16428 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:42 am

DoubleBullKilla wrote:*If your buddy farts, the smell stays in the blind for a while. Just my 2 cents.

Quick!! Roll up the windows and turn up the heat!! :lol: :lol: :lol: DO NOT recommend eating a large mexican meal the night before a blind hunt!! :o
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:22 pm

:lol: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

PreviousNext

Return to Ground Blinds Forum