Layout Blind?

A place to ask questions and share information on ground blinds.

Layout Blind?

Postby kchusker » Mon May 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Has anyone had any success using a layout blind for hunting turkeys? I have an Ameristep Outhouse blind out of which I've killed 4 longbeards, but it seems something is wrong this spring in that I can't seem to call a tom in from that blind. I'm thinking that it may be spooking them or maybe it's just this weird late spring and the toms are just late in getting in the mood to strut their stuff. In any case, I've got one more shot at intercepting some toms after their flydown, so I thought I'd experiment with the laydown blind. Sitting totally still for a couple of hours isn't easy for me any more so I like the concealment of my movements in a blind. Ticks are getting more tolerant of permethryn too it seems so I don't enjoy feeding them while I'm sitting in the grass and timber.
kchusker

Re: Layout Blind?

Postby BigAL64 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I would think they would see you move when it came time to shoot. seemed the turkeys shy away from the layout blinds when we are hunting geese in the fall. that being said I have never tried one so give it a shot. What the heck! What you are doing now isn't working and you know what they say. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Good Luck!!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby DocHolladay » Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 pm

I think one of the Primos boys used a layout blind in one of the videos. The turkey was so close he about knocked him over when he opened the blind. Missed him, but it was funny to watch.

Just do it like this guy.
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue May 21, 2013 6:24 am

I need one for duck season so if you have any recomendations please let me know.
You can't kill em sittin on the couch
carolinagreenhead
Site Admin

Postby BigAL64 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am

DocHolladay wrote:I think one of the Primos boys used a layout blind in one of the videos. The turkey was so close he about knocked him over when he opened the blind. Missed him, but it was funny to watch.

Just do it like this guy.

Watched a friend do that with his B-mobile the first year they came out. Have fanned several over the years. Really have to be careful though so as not to get shot!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby BigAL64 » Tue May 21, 2013 10:15 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:I need one for duck season so if you have any recomendations please let me know.

I have ther cabelas elite. It is a nice blind but I really like the tanglefree deadzone. It has plenty of room for big guys and gear but is low profile. Mine stands up higher than I like and has pins that are a peta to set up and take down in the dark. The avery power hunter is the lowest profile blind out there besides the beavertail. both of those blinds are not very comfortable and the power hunter has a lid that flips up and if you set up with the wind at your back like you should and the wind is strong when you set up the thing hits you in the back. My next blind will be a tanglefree deadzone. Also if there is an option don't spend the extra money on cammo. Just get kakie. When you mud the blind like you should and stubble it the cammo pattern doesn't show anyhow. Plus the cammo material doesn't hold the mud like the kakkie and you have to mud more often. I usually mud every time I change fields anyway. I use dirt from the field I will be hunting in.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

-

Postby RTrot » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:11 am

When my dad was making something, or painting something, or wallpapering etc, if the perfection of the finish were less than perfect i.e. he had messed it up in some way, but not too badly he would often say well, a blind man on a galloping horse wouldnt see it.
The obviousness of this is beyond all doubt, but it was said in such a way as to really indicate that even a sighted person standing still would not see it.
Does anyone have any idea where this saying came from?
RTrot

-

Postby RTrot » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:19 pm

Approx 60 years ago, when I was 8, on a visit to the city of Durham, my Father used the expression. We were standing next to a statue of a man on a galloping horse. My Father told me the one person who could find fault with the statue was a blind man. He discovered by feel that the horse had no tongue in its partially opened mouth,
RTrot

-

Postby RTrot » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:49 am

It has touched it! It has reached it!
RTrot

-

Postby RTrot » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:48 pm

What a pleasure to meet that saying again Ive heard it only from my father 1904-1992. From time to time I use it, with relish. In fact his version and thus my own is rather longer: A blind man on a galloping horse on a dark night wouldnt see too much wrong with that.

He was born and bred in Hampshire, by the way.

Sorry I cant offer a direct answer to your question, Tony.
RTrot

Return to Ground Blinds Forum