Sweet sounds of the pots...

A place to discuss different turkey calling techniques and calls.

Re: Sweet sounds of the pots...

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:55 pm

I have no clue how to build a pot call.. But a ton of variables goes into them other than just surface.. I few hundredths of an inch in thickness can make the difference between a screamer and a dud... As kid mentioned the wood can make a big difference as well but its not as simple as hard vs soft there are so many variables: thickness, surface, sound board, size, depth that can severely change the sound of say two Walnut calls..

I do not carry a pot a whole lot anymore.. But if I had one surface over the years that is a killer, its plain old shiny aluminum.. I think some of the other surfaces will edge it in the realism category including anodized but the tone and crack of old aluminum kills turkeys.

To my ear a bronzed glass or crystal call sounds most realistic and is probably most versatile in range of tones and very responsive to strikers.. A good slate is a great call but with that being said alot I run are duds, no big front end, no big range of sound, but a good one is tough to beat.. I do not care for regular old glass give me bronze or crystal..

Another piece that is overlooked with the pot is the striker.. A great striker cannot make a crappy pot call sound good but it can make a great pot call excellent.. I have more strikers than I can count but I tend to carry 3 versatile strikers that can play on any call giving slightly different pitch and tone..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby cut_un » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Ok...seems like a slate on solf wood may get me started.... As I said, I tend to like the rose wood strickers..... Question??? shape,length end of the actual stricker make much difference?? things other than type of wood to consider....
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby archerykid13 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:03 pm

cut_un wrote:Ok...seems like a slate on solf wood may get me started.... As I said, I tend to like the rose wood strickers..... Question??? shape,length end of the actual stricker make much difference?? things other than type of wood to consider....

Striker length and other things don't affect it too much Imo. A mushroom shaped head is easier to play and produces better sound and a flat striker produces higher pitches. This is all my opinion. I have no where near as much experience as most of you guys.
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13

Postby cut_un » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Wanting to have a call custom made. Want to get a lower,raspy yelp. Thinking to get an idea of exactly what to ask for! Thanks for all the input guys!!

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby archerykid13 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:49 pm

cut_un wrote:Wanting to have a call custom made. Want to get a lower,raspy yelp. Thing to get an idea of exactly what to ask for! Thanks for all the input guys!!

I'd say a slate over glass with the soundboard 3/16" lower than striking surface. I'd go with a rosewood or hickory striker. Your choice of pot wood.

Jacob
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks Dude! Appreciate the advise :bowdown:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby archerykid13 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:35 am

cut_un wrote:Thanks Dude! Appreciate the advise :bowdown:

No problem cut!
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:46 am

cut_un wrote:Wanting to have a call custom made. Want to get a lower,raspy yelp. Thinking to get an idea of exactly what to ask for! Thanks for all the input guys!!

I would not personally call and ask a call maker for certain dimensions, certain wood etc.. He is a call maker, "Do not guide the guide" so to speak.. If he is worth a hoot by you telling him what you are looking for in sound and surface...
As far as asking for a lower, raspier yelp.. That can be attained through the striker as well as smaller amount of pressure applied both to the striker from the fingers and from the striker to the playing surface..

Are you looking for something for Gobbler Yelps?
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Would not do that...siply want to be able to answer questions that may be ask as we go thru the process.....

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby archerykid13 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm actually in the middle of a remodel job where the walls are built out of 2x4s back when they were actually 2" by 4". I'm going to save a couple of them. Make a couple duck calls, box calls and try to turn a couple pots out of them. I'll let you guys know what comes of it. It's about 100 years old so it's aged well. Should have good sound.
Fortitudo Scientia Amor
archerykid13

PreviousNext

Return to Calls/Calling Forum