The Wing Bone call makers...

A place to discuss different turkey calling techniques and calls.

The Wing Bone call makers...

Postby cut_un » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:59 am

Goosebuster and others are interested in making a wingbone call..... Got me to thinking :headscratch: Is thre anywhere that sells the wing bones themselves.... I have made many in the past but they are from turkeys that I've killed myself. Don't kill many hen turkeys anymore,very feel jakes either so my dead birds have "BIG MEAN WINGS"...
Just thinking, for the guys that make/sell em.... Is the a supplier for such bones?????
Also,speaking of the bones themselves....... Canada goose,snow geese also have hollow bones and can be used! Just saying
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Re: The Wing Bone call makers...

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:22 pm

You ever make one out of goose bones cut?? If not you should make one this year and let us know how it sounds. like you said I don't kill hens or jakes so I have nothing to make one with. if goose bones sound good I would make one out of one of them.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby cut_un » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:42 pm

The actual goose wing bones are a but longer& straighter but ,like the hen turkey,hollow!! May give one a go this year,see what it sounds like....

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby FinBonZ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Canada and snow goose wingbones make great calls. I have used the goose bone for a mouthpiece and the other two bones being turkey. Really make a good sound.

On a side note, goose bones fall under the migratory birds regulations and can be a problem with selling them if you use them on your calls. I know many call makers across the country sell goose wingbone calls and donate them to auctions without any problems, but my local DNR officers let me know they would not allow it. So if I use any waterfowl bones I give them away to friends.
FinBonZ

Postby FinBonZ » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Here is a group of canada goose wingbone callers that I made a couple years ago. You can see overall they are quite a bit more narrow than a regular wingbone. especially the bell.

FinBonZ

Postby Goosebuster72 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Simply beautiful calls... :bowdown:
Va. Steel slingers...go hard or go home!!
Goosebuster72

Postby cut_un » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:19 am

Fin... What'd does the one in the middle have on it... Love that thing!! Is it dipped?? How's the sound of the goose bones, vs the real turkey bone? Also, wonder how a cackler(small goose bone) work out with the turkey bell???? Like said. I don't get my hands on that many hen turkeys these days!!! I hate to give up a tag in the fall!

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby FinBonZ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:21 am

I'm with you guys. I don't shoot hens so any hen bones I get are given to me. A cackler would work fine I would think. Anything smaller than that would start to be too small. I have a set of wingbones I made for myself that are made from everything from a canada goose down to a dove. The large duck bones make a sound but they don't sound much like a hen.

On the middle call- Yes, I had a couple goose calls camo dipped. I thought they turned out nice but the guy sold his business. I'm lining up a guy now to do some turkey bones.

The goose bones just have a different pitch. Not sure if it sounds better or not. Both will fool them on a good day!
FinBonZ

Postby cut_un » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:21 am

Got ya.... the true test as to the sound/pitch iis in the ear of the turkey anyway!
May attempt to make a few goose wing bones this year.Usually have plenty of them..... Thanks for all your input& replys brother!
Hope you get a few PMs and ya stay busy.... You do great work!!

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby DocHolladay » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:49 pm

FinBonZ wrote:On a side note, goose bones fall under the migratory birds regulations and can be a problem with selling them if you use them on your calls.

You can sell the thread that they are wrapped in and you labor..... you're just giving them the bones. :thumbsup:
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Return to Calls/Calling Forum