Guy's, I feel stupid. Please help

A place to discuss different turkey calling techniques and calls.

Guy's, I feel stupid. Please help

Postby Box Call » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:33 am

I bought a glass call this week for the first time and it arrived yesterday. I tried it this morning and it does not work and it did not come with any instructions so I need your help. It came with the call, a striker, a course green s.o.s. pad type thing and a stiff wire type pad.

I assume those two pads are supposed to help but don't know how. Can you please tell me what to do?

Thanks.

Never, never, never give up. - Winston Churchill
Box Call

Re: Guy's, I feel stupid. Please help

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:39 am

Use stiff wire pad to score the face of the call by sanding in one direction or in circles. Then smooth it out with the green.Also sand the striker end some in one direction. This is how I do it. some of the other guys that have more experience with glass calls may have other ways of doing it but it has worked for me. If you are not sure just do a small spot first to try it.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:41 am

On second thought the wire stuff may be for the striker. I didn't see the pic before I posted. i would just use the green on the call surface!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby JP_hntnfsh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:42 am

BigAL64 wrote:Use stiff wire pad to score the face of the call by sanding in one direction or in circles. Then smooth it out with the green.Also sand the striker end some in one direction. This is how I do it. some of the other guys that have more experience with glass calls may have other ways of doing it but it has worked for me. If you are not sure just do a small spot first to try it.

X2... :thumbsup:

JP
JP_hntnfsh

Postby DocHolladay » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:27 pm

No circles on the call. Back and forth, one direction... I use the coursest one to rough it up initially and then the green pad once it has been scored. Usually the scotch brite pad wont scratch the surface of glass, aat least not the ones I bought. Had to use the course one to get it started and then use the scotch brite from then on.
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 am

Cutting glass initially is a PIA.. You have a few options, go to the hardware and either get a cheap small square knife sharpening stone, drywall screen or some course sandpaper.. You will be there for weeks with a green scrubby.. Depending how you prefer a surface you can come back after initially cutting the glass with some lighter sandpaper or less pressure on the stone..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:21 am

Cutting glass initially is a PIA.. You have a few options, go to the hardware and either get a cheap small square knife sharpening stone, drywall screen or some course sandpaper.. You will be there for weeks with a green scrubby.. Depending how you prefer a surface you can come back after initially cutting the glass with some lighter sandpaper or less pressure on the stone..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby misfire » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 pm

The wire is probably 100gr drywall sanding material. Use that first, but rub in one direction only. If you rub back and forth, here is what happens. You rub in one direction and that cuts material away. Then you rub back in the other direction, while it still cuts some material away, it takes what you initially cut away on the first pass and pushes it back into the grooves you cut on the first pass. Rub in one direction only and then occasionally blow the excess off the surface or rub on your pants. I think once you do that, you will find that your need to condition will be less often
misfire

Return to Calls/Calling Forum