One of my few negative reactions to the decoys.

A forum to discuss the newest turkey decoys and techniques.

One of my few negative reactions to the decoys.

Postby cut_un » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:20 am

Over all, I love to set out a gobbler decoy. BUT...... more time than not, I have a long longbear work into the strutter,that or a bunch of jakes, either usually would (or could result in a kill. BUT, yesterday. We have a late spring up and the gobblers(long beards) seem to still be bunched up. I had my thunder chicken set up along with 2 hen decoys. about 20 yards from a ground blind in a hardwood bottom. I told the wheelchair hunter that to keep his eyes on the "chicken" that I was going to put a turkey right there :thumbsup: Turned out that I did have 3 long beards(together) at 25 yards but would not commit to the decoy.... did not pay any attention to it, or the hens.
I'm wondering because of this spring, the three (nice) birds running together at this time,they were simply not interested in "the chicken"..... That's what I'm thinking anyway but going up against a pair of birds in the AM, scratching my head as to put him out or leave him in the bag,only put a couple hens out :headscratch: I'm thinkin, leave it in the bag one more week! What do you guys think?
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Re: One of my few negative reactions to the decoys.

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16 pm

I don't think i will be using mine until a week or 2!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby DocHolladay » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:56 pm

I've got a B-Mobile. Great decoy, small size, nice looking head, semi-realistic tail. Has a pull rope to lower the tail. Havent had a turkey yet that likes the tail pulled down on them in a dominate fashion!!! I have just started leaving the pull cord off, they dont run away near as often.
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Postby cut_un » Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 am

Still.... scratching me head over the use of decoys. Our season here in central VA is several weeks behind the norm. First week, gobblers were still flocked up(big time) and very timid to walk up to a strutter decoy. Noticed that birds were responding better to gobbler calls & crows than hen talk.I backed off my strutter and started using hens only as gobblers began breaking up and then became "henned up". The phase we are just moving out of. Birds seem to be responding to the calls, I have now re-introduced a jake decoy to my junk.The birds are gobbling less, on the roost and on the ground.
Will probably bring my strutter back to action next week as I'm hoping the gobblers will be on the move,running to anything that sounds like a hen. Just my 2 cents but.... generally speaking... That strutter decoys is/has been the ticket to taking a big ol eastern gobbler around these parts :headscratch:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:03 pm

If I were to use decoys again for the pure reason of bringing in birds it would be 2-3 thunder chickens.. Flextone nor the Lil Runt before them has no clue why they work, but I will guarantee you they do.. Its all about body language and most folks do not pay attention..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Return to Decoy Forum