If you've got a smoker...

A place to share turkey recipes.

If you've got a smoker...

Postby buckshot5792 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Put your turkey in their for a while and cook it low and slow and you won't be disappointed. Making myself hungry now...
Ain't no place that I'd rather be than with a bunch of y'all rednecks just like me.

Me and my buddies waitin' on the sun, 00 buckshot in my gun, black and tan hound dogs itching to run. Sittin' on a tailgate.
buckshot5792

Re: If you've got a smoker...

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Just got a new one for christmas as a matter of fact! I've done them in the gas grill too before.
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby buckshot5792 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:09 pm

Man they are some kind of good.
Ain't no place that I'd rather be than with a bunch of y'all rednecks just like me.

Me and my buddies waitin' on the sun, 00 buckshot in my gun, black and tan hound dogs itching to run. Sittin' on a tailgate.
buckshot5792

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 am

Ive done a bunch of Tameys in the stick burner but never a wild one.. Might have to try it, but man I dread Pluck, pluck, pluck, pluck,
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby BigAL64 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:44 am

ICDEDTURKES wrote:Ive done a bunch of Tameys in the stick burner but never a wild one.. Might have to try it, but man I dread Pluck, pluck, pluck, pluck,

A friend of mine has a smoker. We just smoke the breasts.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby DocHolladay » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:24 am

Smoke it for 2.5 hours, wrap in foil finish cooking. I have smoked a few breasts and the average time is about 5 hours at 180*(I would have to check my book).
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:31 am

DocHolladay wrote:Smoke it for 2.5 hours, wrap in foil finish cooking. I have smoked a few breasts and the average time is about 5 hours at 180*(I would have to check my book).

Why would you only smoke for 2.5 hours, Poultry can absorb smoke much past that? I could possibly see if you are using something such as mesquite that has a strong smoke taste, but even than I would go past that.. I tend to use home cut apple in which the event of an "oversmoke" would be rare.

180? Are you talking the internal temp of the thigh or are you talking the internal temp of your pit.. You can smoke small poultry such a quarters or wings at a lower temp of say 225, but on a large bird such as a turkey you are much better off smoking at a temp of 250.. Poultry needs to be brought up to temp a little faster as if not bacteria can form..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby DocHolladay » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:02 pm

The last turkey breasts I smoked, was at 180* for 5hrs(based on weight). My little cup holds enough wood to smoke for 2-2.5hrs. The breasts were cooked all the way through and the smoke flavor was just right. The times and such came out of smoking cook books that either came with the smoker or were bought . I went and double checked to make sure I wasnt wrong. One book says cook at 180-200, the other says 200-225, 1 hour for every pound. I dont think it matters how fast or how long it cooks, as long as it is completely cooked with a 160* internal temp.
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 am

I guess you mean have I tried to smoke the turkey legs in the smoker.There is something to be said for putting nouns verbs and adjectives in the right place.

No, the legs on the birds I shoot are generally so tough that I don't even mess with anything but the breast.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Return to Turkey Recipes & Tips for Cooking