Food plots of turkeys

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation organizations.

Food plots of turkeys

Postby cut_un » Mon May 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Been given an opportinity to add too 3 different established food plots on club property.The guys plant with deer in mind, will be focusing more on turkeys BUT..... I guess/think that most seeds that will help/attact deer will also attract turkeys too. Right :headscratch: I do know they have alot of clover,turnips& beets in the patches......
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Re: Food plots of turkeys

Postby DocHolladay » Mon May 06, 2013 10:27 pm

They seem to always be in the soybean fields around home, during growth and after they have dried. They also flock to them after harvest to pick-up dropped beans. I have killed turkeys with a craw full of clover, so that may be an option too, if ya'll dont have any.

This is a great publication that the University of Tennessee puts out. TONS of info about food plots. Just because UT publishes it, doesnt mean it wont work in your area. Bookmark it!! Start your search on Pg 81 for turkeys, its short, but enough info for some ideas. Hope it helps. If you want a hard(soft back) copy, it will cost you $20, but it is money well spent! I have a copy to read and tote in the field. I provided a link to contact them below. You'll need to ask for a copy of PB1769 if you call or write. You might have to contact one of the Extension offices. If they won't send one to you, let me know and I will see if I can get a list of people who want one and get them and mail them out to you.

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/publi ... PB1769.pdf

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/Pages/default.aspx
2621 Morgan Circle | 121 Morgan Hall | Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: 865-974-7114 | Fax: 865-974-1068
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

Return to Conservation/Biology