Is this a Rio or Merriam?

If you are new to the forums this is the place to introduce yourself.

Is this a Rio or Merriam?

Postby mblaser » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi all,

I just joined the ranks last month when I killed my first turkey. Wow, what an experience! I think I'm hooked for life. Anyway, I wanted to introduce myself and ask a few newbie question from all you sage hunters out there.

Utah did a late general hunt this year and I was fortunate to take this big old gobbler. I know that has mostly Merriam's, but I hear they also have Rios in the river bottom areas. I got this turkey near the Provo River drainage if anybody might know where it is and I can't tell if it's a Rio or a Merriams.

The beard was 10.75, spurs 1.25 and weighed 18lb.

I also did the taxidermy myself. It's the first turkey I've ever done, but I think it turned out pretty nice.

I'll definitely be hanging around from here on out and trying to learn from you all.
Attachments
IMG_5309.JPG
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5315.JPG
mblaser

Re: Is this a Rio or Merriam?

Postby cut_un » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:32 am

Welcome from Va. brother, glad you jumped in! Yes, turkey hunting,spring or fall is a great sport! And as you see it changes your life forever! I've been hunting them critters for over 40 years! Still "got it bas too" :uhha: Hope to of these world travels jump in but I'm thinking it's a Rio! Nice bird too!
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Return to Welcome New Members