Broadheads.... Which one, Why?

A place to talk about all your bow hunting tips, tactics, and questions.

Re: Broadheads.... Which one, Why?

Postby duckmander » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:11 pm

I shoot 125gr thunderheads on my recurve. And 85gr thunderheads on my compound.
I dont trust mechanicals to open properly every time. I also think they kill all of the energy of the arrow upon opening.
I like the thunderheads for the cut on contact and they also have one of the thickest blades next to muzzy's.
I would always have two holes to drain blood from. over one twice the size. that may be only a few inches deep.
But thats just me. to each his own. if it works for ya dont fix it. is my theory.
duckmander

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Rage all the way. I know some guys don't like them, or flat out hate them, but a lot of guys don't like Stoeger and I love mine.

I shot a deer with a two-blade 125 grain last year and it punched a HUGE hole in the poor guy. I was also shooting a crossbow so it not passing through wasn't much of a problem. As far as the crossbow goes, I'll never shoot anything different. As for the compound, I'll stick with fixed blades.
S**t happens when you're havin' fun.
River Ramblin' Man

Postby jbshunter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Turkeys.....Magnus Bullhead. You either kill him or miss, plus they have a lifetime warranty!!!!

Deer.....Ramcat. Flies great and cuts a mean hole!!!!!
jbshunter

Postby Duckp » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:53 pm

I mainly use G5 Strikers for deer/elk etc but shoot up old 125 gr Thunderheads for turkeys.I've shot 5 in a row with them and yet had one get more than 20 yds.
Opening day this year in winds gusting to 48 MPH.Exciting in those conditions when your decoys blow away(except a heavy hen from Dave Smith decoys) :)

pic too 'high' and 'wide' I guess.Oh well,just a nice one.
Duckp

Postby thunderchicken » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:24 am

G5 makes great heads too. The Montecs are a really nice 1 piece head and the Strikers fantastic.

Thinderheads....i used them for years brfore finding what I consider a superior head. They will kill what they hit, but you better have a bow thats in tune. Like Muzzy, they will show you quickly if your out of tune.
Hit em high, watch em die!!
thunderchicken

Previous

Return to Bow Hunting Forum