20 guage choke advice

A forum to share info and ask questions about turkey hunting chokes.

20 guage choke advice

Postby dmac1175 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:55 pm

I'm planning on buying a Stoeger Condor o/u 20 gauge youth model for my daughters to shoot. Just curious what you experts would recommend for chokes. Looking to make a 40 yard turkey killer. Plan on shooting hevi13 7's or Federal heavyweight 1.5 oz #7. Thanks in advance.
dmac1175

Re: 20 guage choke advice

Postby spit note » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:41 am

Call William at Sumtoy Customs and tell him what you want to shoot.You won't be disappointed.
spit note

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:20 am

If given the choice of those 2 shells after have shooting them both on birds for a couple a years give me the Federals.. The Hevi can be a little more forgiving of choke and gun but the HWs penetration trumps the H13 in redneck autopsies.

As stated above the cheapest route may be to contact William, alot of the less expensive chokes that work with the Federal are not available in Ben/Ber threading..

140-150 in a 10 inch circle is an ideal pattern with that loading containing 326 pellets.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby dmac1175 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks so much for the feedback.
ICDED, how does the Fed hw in 12 gauge compare to hevi shot 2 3/4 oz. 3 1/2" #6 in both pattern and penetration?
dmac1175

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:12 am

dmac1175 wrote:Thanks so much for the feedback.
ICDED, how does the Fed hw in 12 gauge compare to hevi shot 2 3/4 oz. 3 1/2" #6 in both pattern and penetration?

The Federal Heavyweight in the 12 gauge is handicapped by payload and the flight control wad.. The flight control wad in the 20 gauge is malleable whereas in the 12 gauge its to thick and stiff thus it is extremely picky of choke and barrel. The only choke manufacture that has somewhat unlocked the mystery of the FCW in 12 gauge is Tru Lock..

As for penetration there is simply no comparison the HW of equal loading will out penetrate Hevi shot of an equal size by a long shot.. There really is no reason for the Heavyweight 6 the Heavyweight 7 will have ample penetration out to like 78 yards, going to a 6 further limits the overall number of pellets due to the density of the shot.. Federal would be smart to move to heavier payloads, ditch the FCW and go to 7.5 or 8s for a 40-50 yard load and they would stomp Hevi shot in the dirt.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby dmac1175 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:58 am

I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions but I have more.
I own a Mossburg 835 with 24" barrell. I have a redhead (Carlson) choke and a tru go gobble stopper. Are you saying a try look tube with fed hw #7 would out perform both by pattern and penetration than hevi shot 6's with my chokes? If so I'm in for whatever max performance is.
Also, what will the HW 7's penetrate at 78 yards? What would max distance be for ethical turkey hunting?
dmac1175

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:20 am

dmac1175 wrote:I have a redhead (Carlson) choke and a tru go gobble stopper. Are you saying a try look tube with fed hw #7 would out perform both by pattern and penetration than hevi shot 6's with my chokes? If so I'm in for whatever max performance is.

There is no guarantee that the Fed 7s will work with either of those chokes, all you can do is try... If you wanted to shoot federal 7s and get something that would work, I would contact Trulock and talk to them about their choke specifically for that shell and what to expect.. At 1300 the Feds will out penetrate those Hevi 6s at 1090 by a longshot. But with that being said the Hevi 6s are a great load that patterns very well and has adequate penetration at the ranges we should be shooting.. Those Hevi 6s should perform great in your 835..

dmac1175 wrote:Also, what will the HW 7's penetrate at 78 yards? What would max distance be for ethical turkey hunting?

1.25 inches in Ballistic Gel which is the standard by which most handloaders judge adequate penetration.. As for max range, this is a very very touchy subject.. Modern technology and handloading has really pushed the envelope making rigs capable of killing birds at 70-80 yards and maybe beyond in terms of minimum penetration requirement and exceeding the standard minimum pattern density of 100 pellets in a 10 inch circle.. But should we really be shooting that far?

Past 40 numerous other factors come into play, that little jerk of the trigger is magnified the further you get, wind drift really comes into effect and the effects of wind are shocking, bird moving etc etc.. I personally even with a gun capable of longer kills try my best to hold shots to 40 yards and under for the reasons above and the very premise of the sport and the close interaction with a gobbler.
ICDEDTURKES

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:10 pm

This is some very good info!!!

Thanks guys for your questions and answers!! :cheers:
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby dmac1175 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Yes it is very good information. It is very much appreciated.
Correction: I have the tru glo strut stopper not the gobble stopper.
dmac1175

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:46 pm

dmac1175 wrote:Yes it is very good information. It is very much appreciated.
Correction: I have the tru glo strut stopper not the gobble stopper.

That's what I use in my rem. It produces good patterns!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes Forum