New to turkey hunting,lots of questions

A forum to share info and ask questions about turkey hunting chokes.

Re: New to turkey hunting,lots of questions

Postby monjorrow » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 pm

BigAL64 wrote:I have a 887 and the winHV couldnt begin to compare with the H13 #7's

The H13 cost over double what the winHV does though. You must understand I am a broke college kid working with a part time job here, so you can see how it gets tough to support all my hunting habits lol. But, if the Winchester does not please me then I will probably break down and try a box of the H13. If it works it works, but I plan on taking my birds fairly close so I do not need a drop dead 60 yard pattern, just one that will get the job done at a max of probably 40.
monjorrow

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 am

monjorrow wrote:
BigAL64 wrote:I have a 887 and the winHV couldnt begin to compare with the H13 #7's

The H13 cost over double what the winHV does though. You must understand I am a broke college kid working with a part time job here, so you can see how it gets tough to support all my hunting habits lol. But, if the Winchester does not please me then I will probably break down and try a box of the H13. If it works it works, but I plan on taking my birds fairly close so I do not need a drop dead 60 yard pattern, just one that will get the job done at a max of probably 40.

I understand the cost as i am a roofer that has not been working steady since 06. But I think they are worth it. I patterned with one shell and still had 4 left. I will be able to kill 4 turkeys with them. That's 2 years worth here in Mo.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby AppalachianAssassin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:26 am

if i was going to spend that kind of money on shells. i believe i would send my gun to nitro ammo. co. and have them make me a load. quite impressive what they can get from a shotgun. its expensive though.
lord knows we dont deserve it. but he gives it to us anyway, every spring.
AppalachianAssassin

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 am

monjorrow wrote:

Not pressuring you, But.... Lead can be very tough to get to pattern well, after you swap to different chokes, try different lead loads it too gets expensive... I can pretty much assure you the H 13 7s will pattern well out of your gun.. They are the one factory loaded shell available that out of any turkey choke will throw acceptable patterns not at 60 yards but at 40..

Plus Hevi is running a 10 dollar mail in rebate per box.. There are a few places where hevi can still be had somewhat inexpensive.. The HVs are gonna run ya 11-13 bucks a box..

http://www.hevishot.com/images/stories/_Rebates/2013/2013HEVI-13Turkeyrebate.pdf
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 am

AppalachianAssassin wrote:if i was going to spend that kind of money on shells. i believe i would send my gun to nitro ammo. co. and have them make me a load. quite impressive what they can get from a shotgun. its expensive though.

Nitros were all the craze on these boards up until about 5 years ago.. I shot them and have a couple boxes.. But Environmetal really narrowed the gap with the straight 7s and Mag Blends.. You might get a little better patterns with Nitro, but most shooters on these boards have jumped off of what used to be called the "Nitro Train" do to the little bit of increased performance was not worth the money nor the Loooooong lead time to get their shells..

Plus last year there were some pressure concerns..
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby monjorrow » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:53 am

never been a fan of rebates, I waited almost 5 months before I got my rebate back on my 870.
monjorrow

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:46 am

When I switched to H13 7's I gained almost 100 pellets in my 10 in circle at 40 over Win HV 6's. That made it worth the extra $ IMO.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby ksfowler166 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:31 pm

You really don't need any of that extra stuff. A factory mod. or full will do just and you don't need special turkey loads. A box of pheasant loads will be just as effective. At 40yd #6 lead will probably be your best bet.

Or you could always use 5/8oz #9 lead at 1800fps :shock: (361 pellets), 3/4oz #9 lead at 1660fps (435 pellets). :lol: ;) JK
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166

Postby AppalachianAssassin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 am

funny
lord knows we dont deserve it. but he gives it to us anyway, every spring.
AppalachianAssassin

Postby DocHolladay » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 am

I used to run Fed. with the FCW and loved it until I switched over to Hevi-shot. I havent looked back. Last year I jumped onto the Mag-Blend band wagon. That stuff is wicked!! Currently I am putting 174 pellets in a 10" circle and the majority of the others are in the 20" circle. All shots are at 40yds. Every turkey I shot with lead flopped around, all but one shot with Hevi was a bang flop bird. The only reason the one wasnt a bang flop was shot placement on my part. Don't let the cost scare you, the performance will make up for it.

I will also say that, you can spend lots of money trying to find a choke that will shoot your "preferred" load. IMO, it is cheaper to find a load that your choke likes. You should be able to buy a 2-3 different brands of shells/shot size and one will shine with the choke you have or choose. Carlsons are a good choice that tend to be affordable. I will be using a Carlsons .660 this year.
New Signature Loading...... 25% Complete...
DocHolladay

PreviousNext

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes Forum