choke help

A forum to share info and ask questions about turkey hunting chokes.

choke help

Postby yarborough29102 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 am

i have a benelli super black eagle one with a 26 inch barrel i am trying to narrow the choke list down, so i was wondering if anyone was shooting a sbe and what choke/shell setup they are using to help me atleast narrow it down i know i will have to pattern it my self just trying to save some time and a little money any help is appreciated thanks
yarborough29102

Re: choke help

Postby AppalachianAssassin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:22 am

too rich for my blood. im a mossberg man.
lord knows we dont deserve it. but he gives it to us anyway, every spring.
AppalachianAssassin

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:37 pm

Ohh DSM....ICDED where are you???? :lol: One of those 2 guys got to know something about your shotgun and be able to help you!! Good luck!! :welcome:
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Any recommendation I would give is going to be based on the load(s) you plan on shooting. For lead shot say in 5 or 6 shot, I would start with a .650-.660 diameter choke. For hevi shot or other htl (heavier than lead) loads, you start getting a bit more choke sensitive. Pure gold, indian creek and the hevi shot brand of chokes have been excellent performers lately with htl loads. Now William at Sumtoy custom chokes will build you a choke to the size and type of shot loads thou will be using and will not be happy until YOU are happy! He is fast becoming THE guy for custom chokes and what's even better...they are priced amazingly lower than you would think...competitive with any of the other "stock" brands I already mentioned. Pure gold is another company that will work with you to find a choke to fit your liking and my SBE II absolutely loves the straight hevi shot 6s through a pure gold .670 choke. Hope this helps. Feel free to pm me with any questions too!
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:08 am

dsm16428 wrote:Any recommendation I would give is going to be based on the load(s) you plan on shooting. For lead shot say in 5 or 6 shot, I would start with a .650-.660 diameter choke. For hevi shot or other htl (heavier than lead) loads, you start getting a bit more choke sensitive. Pure gold, indian creek and the hevi shot brand of chokes have been excellent performers lately with htl loads. Now William at Sumtoy custom chokes will build you a choke to the size and type of shot loads thou will be using and will not be happy until YOU are happy! He is fast becoming THE guy for custom chokes and what's even better...they are priced amazingly lower than you would think...competitive with any of the other "stock" brands I already mentioned. Pure gold is another company that will work with you to find a choke to fit your liking and my SBE II absolutely loves the straight hevi shot 6s through a pure gold .670 choke. Hope this helps. Feel free to pm me with any questions too!

All good advice.. And I would like to add one more I have zero experience with but have talked to and that is Rob Roberts of Gobbler Guns.. Several of our pro staffers use his chokes with good results.. Not only that but he is the one who shoots and chokes the Benelli Custom Shop SBE II Guns.. This man has fired many a round through your gun and I am sure has some idea as to a good starting point for your gun.. I know the SBE II custom shop guns shoot the Fed HW 7s which IMO is the baddest turkey shell available, if Rob can get ya rocking with them, you are set.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby yarborough29102 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:58 am

i have looked at sum toy chokes and i have consider pure gold especially since they are a company from my state. my buddy shoots a comp n choke out of his sbe one and gets god results with it with the same shell i shoot
yarborough29102

Postby Goosebuster72 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:08 am

Does he like the comp-n-choke? I'm looking for feedback on them
Va. Steel slingers...go hard or go home!!
Goosebuster72

Return to Shotshell, Reloading, Ballistics, & Chokes Forum