New Toy

Share your questions on all makes and models of turkey hunting shotguns.

Re: New Toy

Postby cut_un » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:58 am

Thanks IC..... being ole school and a hunter ,not a shooter, you left me in D dust. Got it now. Wackin a longbeard has been on my list for quite a while. Should be fun to do!
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:31 am

cut_un wrote:Thanks IC..... being ole school and a hunter ,not a shooter, you left me in D dust. Got it now. Wackin a longbeard has been on my list for quite a while. Should be fun to do!

No shooter here, regardless of weapons keep everything inside an arbitrary 40 yard line for ethical reasons.. But in doing so, I want the most effective weapon possibly inside 40
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:59 pm

Joe, ICDEDTURKEYS will not steer you wrong. We see pretty much eye to eye on things when it comes to turkeys and turkey guns. :cheers: I don't know if you saw my posts on my 20 gauge 870 build this past spring, but I shot about every turley load available for the 20 commercially except for the Hehi Shot #7's and that was just because I couldn't find a good enough deal on them then. I decided on three specific loadings and 2 chokes for those loadings. The first two were: Primos .570" Jellyhead and either Hevi Shot 6's or the Federal NON-FLIGHTCONTROL WAD lead 6's, both of which patterned beautifaully for me to the ranges I had planned for them; the hevi to 40 yards and the lead to 35 MAX. The third and what I chose to run with this past spring to take the bird that won me the majority of every contest I entered was the Carlson's UN-PORTED .570" choke and the Federal Heavy Weight 7's. I got REDICULOUS patterns with this combo and I was and am confident that I can take a turkey with ease to 40 yards and a bit more if I screw up and mis-judge the range by a few yards. I Super Cleaned and Polished the barrel and got a partriot sear spring for it, bringing the horrendous something like 9 pound trigger pull down to about 3 pounds that broke like glass, had it drilled and tapped and mounted a Bushnell TR-75 micro red-dot and replaced the original field stock with the Remington SurShot model. The whole gun now weighs in at under 6 pounds and will straight up ruin a turkey's morning to 40 yards +. :uhha:
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Thanks DSM and likewise :cheers:
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:26 am

These guys will get you into the 21 century Cut! They did me!! :thumbsup:
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby cut_un » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks guys...may work with the Carlsons tubes as I already use em on my 12 ga for duck/goose hunting.... You know me guys,I'm a caller,not a killer, I enjoy gettin dem turkeys as close as the will come..... I place my decoys out at about 15-25 yards and expect him to be standing toe to toe with the jake/ strutter decoy before I let the hammer drop. Sounds like the gun will def take care of the "small work?...My job will be to get him to the line drawn in the sand :smash:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:23 am

I do the same Cut but as ICDED and DSM has stated there is something to be said for having the best choke-shell combo you can have to have the most shot you can on that birds head. Plus it's fun getting there!! Good Luck!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Postby cut_un » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 am

Agreed friend...ya gots too enjoy the Journey :cheers:

Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 am

cut_un wrote:Thanks guys...may work with the Carlsons tubes as I already use em on my 12 ga for duck/goose hunting.... You know me guys,I'm a caller,not a killer, I enjoy gettin dem turkeys as close as the will come..... I place my decoys out at about 15-25 yards and expect him to be standing toe to toe with the jake/ strutter decoy before I let the hammer drop. Sounds like the gun will def take care of the "small work?...My job will be to get him to the line drawn in the sand :smash:

:headscratch:

:umm:

:D
ICDEDTURKES

Postby Ms Turkey Hunter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:07 pm

you will love the 20,that's all I have hunted with for the last several years now
my little toyI
it's not the harvest....it's the chase
Ms Turkey Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum