Why No Love?

Share your questions on all makes and models of turkey hunting shotguns.

Why No Love?

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 am

It seems as if everyone in the 20 gauge arena ooos and ahhs over the 870 20 gauge including myself and seemingly go nuts over the discontinued 870 SPS T 20 gauge in full camo..

Yet Mossberg has done a much better job of accommodating the growing 20 gauge turkey hunters needs.. Mossberg offers in its Grand Slam series a fully camo, sighted, 22 inch barrel gun essentially there version of the old SPS T.. This past year they released a 20 gauge 20 inch Tactical 20 gauge in full Mossy Oak Obsession, essentially the same thing many are doing with their 870 with aftermarket tactical stocks and camo dips.. Mossberg has also upgraded their trigger system to a Savage type accutrigger in which most 870 triggers stink..

So why no love for the Mossberg line of 20 gauges.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Re: Why No Love?

Postby John McGrath » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:17 am

I think it's because of their lack of reliability. Now I am speaking from a waterfowlers stand point, I know many guys who have mossbergs and don't really have too many nice things to say about them
John McGrath

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:04 pm

I own a remmy purely because it was a helluva deal. Yes it shoots phenominally well, but it took some work to get it to that point. As for the mossys? I own 3 835's, arguably the best patterning shotgun for turkey and waterfowl loads there is. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to carry a mossy 20 in the turkey woods either. As far as reliablity? Imo, the mossys are just as reliable as any other pump gun. I agree, the remmy triggers are junk and it took a patriot sear spring to get it even close to the quality of my mossy triggers. Both guns are the best selling shotguns in history...that is fact. Unfortunately, there are always those folks that either love or hate one brand or the other...
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby Ms Turkey Hunter » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 am

there is nothing wrong with Mossberg shotguns,there is nothing wrong with their reliability
the ONLY shotgun to pass the mil spec torture test for the military
I carried one for 6 years while I was employed by Uncle Sam (Army)
I have used Mossberg shotguns for over 40 years
it's not the harvest....it's the chase
Ms Turkey Hunter

Postby Goosebuster72 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:31 pm

My dad has a 20g wingmaster.. Very comfy gun in a mod choke..
Va. Steel slingers...go hard or go home!!
Goosebuster72

Postby Timberghost » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:21 pm

I love the couple of mossys I have. I have never had a issue with them. I think the only hate they can get is that they are a little "loose" but it doesn't bother me.
Team I wish we had a contest this year!
Timberghost

Return to Shotgun Forum