20 ga. Choke Tube

Share your questions on all makes and models of turkey hunting shotguns.

20 ga. Choke Tube

Postby spit note » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:08 am

I have a Franchi Affinity 20ga and am kooking for a choke tube that will pattern Federal Heavy Weight #7's.I saw the patterns with the SSX choke in the 870 and was impressed to say the least.They do not make this tube to fit my gun.Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.I'm hoping ICDEDTURKES will chime in.From what I've been reading on here,he is the local expert.
spit note

Re: 20 ga. Choke Tube

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:59 am

LOL

The 20 gauge can be AS formidable a weapon as 99 percent of the 12 gauges taken to the woods.. The biggest bang for your buck is in ammo.. To have a 40+ yard capable 20 gauge you need to shoot the Federal 7s or the Hevi 13 7s.. Lead loads as we stand fall off at 30-35 yards.. I have shot about every lead load in the 20 and have never come close to a pattern I would feel comfortable with..

Personally have never shot the 20 in a Benelli thread.. The problem is the better inexpensive chokes that work well with the Rem are not offered in that threading... I have a friend whom gets great results in a M1 20 with a Jellyhead and Fed 7s but that could be the exception, not a huge sample size..

Personally I would contact William at Sumtoy Customs.. He spend a lot of time working with the Feds in all the 20s and has a choke design that works really well with the Flight Control Wad.. He not only uses constriction but determined a host of other variables (raised wad stoppers, length of taper) to work with this shell.. William builds a premium choke but right now is priced below the other premium chokes.. Best part is he offers a guarantee if you are not happy you get your money back or he will send you another design.

Starting from scratch it may be the best way to go and most inexpensive in the long run as buying 20-40 dollar chokes can add up in a hurry until you strike gold in your patterns.
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby spit note » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I will contact him.
spit note

Postby spit note » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:00 pm

I ordered me a SSX tube for my 870 20ga. from Clark at "All about shooting" and he recommended a Hevi-13 choke tube for my Affinity 20ga. shooting Federal HW #7's.Anybody have any experience with these chokes?
spit note

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:17 pm

Oh Lord
"Guys today don't know what real turkey hunting is. They don't really carry on a conversation with the turkeys. They just sit in a blind and wait for the birds to come to them. It's a shame."- Denny Gulvas
ICDEDTURKES

Postby spit note » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:34 am

ICEDTURKES, I contacted Sumtoy Customs also. Haven't made a choice yet.Why did you say "Oh Lord" ? I think I need to hear more. You got my curiosity up .
spit note

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 pm

spit note wrote:ICEDTURKES, I contacted Sumtoy Customs also. Haven't made a choice yet.Why did you say "Oh Lord" ? I think I need to hear more. You got my curiosity up .

I'm fairly certain he said that because of all the E.M.I. SPAMMERS that constantly and more to the point ANOYINGLY spout off...ad nauseum, about everything Hevi Shot. :eyeroll: We have a couple on here that and the sister sites that I have managed to keep in check with judicious applications of warnings and post deletions. :twisted:
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:34 pm

dsm16428 wrote:
spit note wrote:ICEDTURKES, I contacted Sumtoy Customs also. Haven't made a choice yet.Why did you say "Oh Lord" ? I think I need to hear more. You got my curiosity up .

I'm fairly certain he said that because of all the E.M.I. SPAMMERS that constantly and more to the point ANOYINGLY spout off...ad nauseum, about everything Hevi Shot. :eyeroll: We have a couple on here that and the sister sites that I have managed to keep in check with judicious applications of warnings and post deletions. :twisted:

:uhha:
ICDEDTURKES

Postby cut_un » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 am

I switched over to a 20 a couple years back, found ,after buying/trying several different "after market choke tubes, the factory"extra full" shot the best out of my gun! A rem 870. Have thumped as few birds with it now,no problems :smash:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Chasin Feathers....the sporting life!
Share your passion,take a kid hunting!
Waterfowl USA
NWTF
cut_un
Super Moderator

Postby Ms Turkey Hunter » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 pm

cut_un wrote:I switched over to a 20 a couple years back, found ,after buying/trying several different "after market choke tubes, the factory"extra full" shot the best out of my gun! A rem 870. Have thumped as few birds with it now,no problems :smash:

what shells are you shooting????
it's not the harvest....it's the chase
Ms Turkey Hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum