Chokes

Share your questions on all makes and models of turkey hunting shotguns.

Re: Chokes

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:07 am

Are those Ni plated loads buffered? If not I would recommend looking up a load that includes some grx buffering. I havnt met a single lead load that didn't perform better buffered than not.
Big Al's "Take-em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

No matter what you do in the turkey woods, if you sit down wrong...you've already been beaten.

Putting out "light bulbs" since 1984.
dsm16428
Forum Moderator

Postby allen.riggs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:52 pm

I shoot an SX3 with a HeviShot turkey choke. I have patterned this gun with this choke using Hevi-13 3 inch #6 at many different distances and it does really well. I have killed a few turkeys with it and haven't missed one yet even at pretty good distances.
allen.riggs

Postby NYGobbler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:35 pm

I used to shoot my dads old 835 w/ a factory turkey choke...loaded with some old (been using the same boxes he bought back in the early 90's) federal 3.5" copper plated 6's. That thing used to shoot a pattern the size of a softball at 30 yards!

a couple years ago I paired up my supernova with an undertaker choke and those same 3.5" 6's, I have yet to have a gobbler complain about my pattern yet, furthest shot was a 43 pacer when I only had 2 days to hunt before I went out of state to work. 1 shot, bird flopped and we headed for home
NYGobbler

Postby Goosebuster72 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:28 pm

I killed one this past spring with a stock rem non extended turkey choke..30-35 yards.. He didn't know what hit him.. SP10 with Old Winchester XX copperplated #4's. 2 1/4 oz of shot,4 1/2 drams ..the old red hull ones every one talks about in here.. This year I plan to try out one of the Comp-n-Choke turkey chokes. I can't wait to pattern it
Va. Steel slingers...go hard or go home!!
Goosebuster72

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum