Missouri youth season

A place for young hunters to discuss their interests.

Missouri youth season

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:20 pm

It starts tomorrow and the first time in a couple of years I have a youth to take. He is 14 and has been deer hunting but never turkey hunting. He lives on a farm and has land to hunt and turkeys so I am driving up in the morning to guide him. Hope the birds want to work so I can get him a shot!!
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Re: Missouri youth season

Postby ShortSpurs » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:24 pm

Best luck with the youngster. I never get over the look on their face when they hammer that first gobbler.

Have a good spring hunt,

Jim
There's huntin', lovin' my woman and NASCAR ... there ain't nuthin' else
ShortSpurs

Re: Missouri youth season

Postby BigAL64 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Well he got one at 7:30!! Had them hammerin at the owl hooter. Got up to the roost area they fly down and 2 long beards and about 10 hens walk across the field about 200 yards out. They wont leave the hens and go on. About 20 min later 3 more start crossing the field. I cut at them and they gobble and start running in. As they are coming in I hear someone else calling badly to them over across the fence on another property. they come in to about 40 yards and start strutting and spit and drumming. As they are fanned out I see all three are jakes. They are really putting on a show and Trevor is shakin like a leaf and I tell him to take some breaths and settle down. They strut and gobble there for about 15 min but where he is he cant get a good shot. Finally the hunters on the other property must have tried to sneak closer and the birds busted them and ran are way. I cut at them real hard and two of them stopped and I told him to shoot. They were at 50 steps and he let the Hevi13's eat. He had never shot that gun and the recoil knocked him off his strut seat. I jumped up and ran to the bird and when I came back to him the look on his face was priceless!!! He said that was the most exciting hunt he had ever been on. He is already wanting to know when he can get after them again.
Shoot em in the face!!
BigAL64

Return to Youth Forum